Series 4 Episode 10

Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Today's riddles (13/7/03)

Post by Emii »

Well explained, KS - and welcome to the board (on noticing that that was your first post...and a worthwhile one at that!).
"The alarm, Master! The opposition's tracked them! Oh good grief...look - Lord Fear's frozen Christopher!"
Dungeoneer2k3
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Dungeoneer2k3 »

Thanks!  ;D Anything for the Knightmare fans!
Knightmare lives forever!
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Emii »

Hee hee goodo...
"The alarm, Master! The opposition's tracked them! Oh good grief...look - Lord Fear's frozen Christopher!"
MPK
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by MPK »

Aaaah, I get it now! Thanks so much Knightshadow!

You definately deserve a welcome now!
Once again returning... and once again going just as fast!
http://www.abadeducation.com
Dungeoneer2k3
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Dungeoneer2k3 »

Thats alright. Any time. Thanks for the welcome. I'm starting to blush now!  ;D
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

Well and there u go.
Great stuff.  But kinda silly because the question should have been opposite all the way not just part of the question.   Thank god they never did that again.. guess it was just a way to kill off the team.. as they where getting further then should had. :o
My life is an endless purgatory interruped by profound moments of misery
Arcengal
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Arcengal »

I don't know what the fuss is over the team anyway. They managed to get the answers completely messed up anyway.

"Who is the daughter of Uther Pendragon?"
opposite
"Who is the son of Uther Pendragon?"

(it could have been who is the mother of Uther Pendragon but no-one would have been able to answer that, and Pickle confirmed it)

Answer: King Arthur
Teams answer: God

Where did that come from? Sorry, barring religious practise God is not the son of anyone, and while he may be the holy Father he was not the holy Mother. So where did God from!?

"What happened to Cinderellas coach at mid-day?"
opposite
"What happened to Cinderellas coach at mid-night?"

Team say "it appeared".
The dungeoneer was right! It did turn back into a pumpkin, but the team were so dumb they never gave it a thought!

"Who should not have been worried about the Ides of March?"
opposite
"Who should have been worried about the Ides of March?"

Answer: Julius Caesar.
Team answer: The March of Ides(???)

There was no reasoning here....the team just didn't know the answer and failed pathetically.

An interesting note is that Merlin described the area as the Chamber of Opposite Extractions. Extraction = Question (i.e. to question somebody is to extract information from them by means of a query). Therefore all the questions were reversed, but the answers were not. The team were meant to give the correct answer (giving a wrong answer would have been far too easy) and the "Falsehood" was the answer to THEIR answer, so therefore was normal and not opposite.

"I'll give you a spell called Sprint"

He didn't. This was the opposite again. As proof the team did not have the spell, the spell book on the status bar opened to reveal...nothing.

Hope that's a bit helpful to anyone who was still puzzled.
4 line sigs yada yada yada
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

The whole affair goes quite a bit deeper than you realise. A very subtle bit of trickery was employed in this room. It lies not in the riddles themselves, though...

"...if you get the answers wrong then I will be able to reward you with magic!"

If the above sentence spoken by Merlin is reversed then he implies that if they get the answers right they WON'T get magic.

My theory is that not EVERYTHING in the room was reversed - the latter part of the above line, for example. The same applies to when he kept saying "falsehood". They were not reversed, either. Everything else was.

If the team had spotted that small semantic subtlety before the riddles began, I think they would have cottoned on to what was going on. I think they were supposed to answer properly, not reversed. The correct answers can't really be reversed, anyway!

So, a very sneaky bit of trickery. And it worked. :)
Subject to change.
SrWilson3S
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by SrWilson3S »

I wonder what the sprint spell was actually for? I personally had a hunch it was for Ariadne but Treguard said after they died in the block and tackle magic could have saved them. But I think they just took too long there and died but If they had got past the block and tackle then Ariadne would have had them for lunch which would have been lovely :).
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

No the spell was for the block and takle thing.
After they died they where told magic would have got them past BUT they didn't win any.

Not that they needed magic for that room many people did with out but thats what they where told.

Anway Pikie gave them a big enough clue about the riddle anway.  :o
My life is an endless purgatory interruped by profound moments of misery
Billy
Knight
Knight

Post by Billy »

So, if they had got all three answers 'right' Merlin would not have appeared to reward them with Magic, so they wouldn't have known the spell. So they would have died anyway.

???
Dungeoneer2k3
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Dungeoneer2k3 »

Yes, he would give them magic. Everything was opposite. When the girls answered the questions wrong, he said " I give you the magic 'SPRINT'" meaning he won't give them the magic 'SPRINT' get it?
RoxxAatherton
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by RoxxAatherton »

i still think those questions were pretty hard for kids, (well apart from the Cinderella one) i must admit i didnt have a problem but then, I'm 18 and did Classics at school, I'd have never have got them at 12/13.

The difficulty of the questions seemed to flucctuate quite a lot actually...

;D
Foxxy Roxxy
Dan
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Dan »

No the spell was for the block and takle thing.
After they died they where told magic would have got them past BUT they didn't win any.
If you forget about what Treguard actually said and think about the rest of the series, it was very linear in nature.  The quests themselves didn't have much difference in structure.  Merlin appeared at about the same point in each quest in order to provide the teams with an opporunity to earn magic, which in at least two other cases was to escape from Ariadne (the shoe with the RUN spell, and the Hibernate spell that team 3 failed to get which led to their being eaten).

Sprint doesn't make much sense for getting through the block and tackle; it's just as likely to kill you as going too slowly.

So I have two thoughts; either sprint was for Ariadne and the team either needed something else for the B&T or else Treguard was just bluffing (he only said "magic _may_ help you get through it", and "magic _could_ have saved you but I'm afraid you didn't earn it").  If they'd guided Vicky properly they would've been fine, given the B&T was no quicker than for anyone else, and they spent ages just going back and forwards in the middle, shouting conflicting instructions over each other.  We're not told which magic might've helped, if any.

The other thought is that Merlin said "I'm going to give you the spell called sprint" (which was, of course, opposite as he did no such thing).  Maybe if they'd got it right he'd have said "I'm not going to give you the spell called slow"?  Something that brought the b&t to a halt, perhaps.

We'll never know - but quite why this team should've required magical help to get through a standard obstacle I don't know.  I still think there was something else.  Merlin's opposites was a nice idea for a challenge, but it's just open to far too much interpretation and was wildly out of line with the difficulty of some other quests (Simon was hand-held all the way up to his own stupid death, for example).
Tom41
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Series 4 Episode 10

Post by Tom41 »

Slightly unusual in the Dungarth entrance, an ogre appeared! Vicki gave him the necklace, then made her escape while he was distracted! I think had they taken the STEALTH potion, they probably would have been able to use it to hide from the ogre (probably invisible, like the invisibility talisman to hide from the troll in Series 2)

Then sidestepped to the right quickly to avoid a giant lizard!

Found Fatilla the Hun guarding the wellway to Level 2. I liked him talking with his mouth full! He had a list of people who were allowed down the well, but he couldn't read so asked Vicki to check if her name was on the list. She lied and said 'yes' =P Also gave him the key, saying it's a magic key which could open any door. I liked them saying 'goodbye' to Fatilla as well!

Knice scene used for Vicki 'falling' down the well. Entered an unusual room with a waterfall and a pit in the middle, not used much in KM. Vicky VERY nearly fell down into the pit of water! Perhaps she did but got let off?
Encountered Gundrada who thought Vicki was a dwarf, and was about to chop her head off! After a bit of convincing, Gundrada guided Vicki out of the room and came along.

In the next room, they were faced with a bit of a dilemma! Mellisandre was in the stocks. Either they could free Mellisandre and go with her, or carry on with Gundrada and her sword. They decided to free Mellisandre, and Gundrada walked off in a huff ;)

Mellisandre guided them through the next couple of rooms, after requesting that Vicki help her look out for that mad barbarian (Fatilla). Look out for the lightning conductor in the eye-shield sequence - probably didn't have them in medieval times ;)

In another room they found Merlin writing at a desk. Merlin said everything opposite, including the riddles he didn't set! ;) They got all the riddles wrong, as they didn't grasp the idea of the backwards riddles - they thought they had to give their answers backwards as well! They also thought that 'falsehood' meant they got it right!
Merlin appeared to give them a SPRINT spell, but they didn't in fact get it (look at the spellbook on the status bar, it's empty) since they got the riddles wrong.

Then hit by a lower flying block in the Block and Tackle, and died. The SPRINT spell could have saved them, but they didn't earn it!

Next challenger is Dickon Hairs (or Hess). I wonder if they'll keep in the 'Dickon got the horn' line this time? =P

Chose the crown route on the Spindizzy place of choice. The crown symbol was obscured by that 'Game Show Gods' thing that Challenge put on the screen though :(

They got to the area with Dooris, the drawbridge/door monster. The mouth didn't seem to be aligned properly, it was too high! Pickle gave them the calling, and the question and answer session started. The voice was the higher 'female' voice.
Scored 3/3 on the True and False questions, and gained passage. But timed out as soon as the drawbridge opened!

Knice modified-color boat ride footage used under the credits.
One day you say "Enter Stranger" and big goblin comes in!