Level 3

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re:Level 3

Post by HStorm »

The causeways in seasons 5 and 6 were too long. They each took about five minutes to complete... far too long to stay interesting.

I re-watched the winning quest from season 5 a couple of nights ago, and apart from the causeway and the encounter with Aesandre, the dungeoneer encountered no other opposition in level 3 at all. Definitely the worst incarnation of the third level.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
rachelesque
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by rachelesque »

HStorm wrote: The causeways in seasons 5 and 6 were too long. They each took about five minutes to complete... far too long to stay interesting.

I re-watched the winning quest from season 5 a couple of nights ago, and apart from the causeway and the encounter with Aesandre, the dungeoneer encountered no other opposition in level 3 at all. Definitely the worst incarnation of the third level.
Fair point, I haven't seen it in a while (read: 10 years... it's not one of the ones i have on video). but i loved the whole winteria atmosphere and the fact that it was such a cool setting and idea.

so what do i look for in a 'good' level 3.

the fire and freeze/trick and treat spell riddles were a great idea. i would have loved to have seen one backfire.

i like having one huge causeway that you have to get the code for half of it then work the rest out by yourself. i did think the series 6 'find' and 'path' was too easy and would have liked to see the roman numerals back.

i never liked the play your cards right game. it was too repetitive and there was very little chance of a dungeoneer losing to bad navigation like there was on the causeways.

i liked owen the dragon (random but a good element of level 3).

i also liked roleplaying challenges, having to convince someone to take/do/drink/give something (gargoyle, freeze potion, some of the sir hugh encounters) should have been a task for every team in level 3. because i like good roleplayers, ok :P

i didn't like the very heavy riddle aspect of some of the early series. you get one riddle wrong and you're out. that's more luck than skill really. i would have liked to have seen puzzles that took the whole level to solve. picking up bits of an object/spell/code was always cool in my books.

i'll think of more ramblings when i sober up.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Gah, sobriety! Over-rated I reckon.

Yeah, as I've mentioned before, the need to get absolutely every riddle right in the lower levels was a bit much. Spells should be about making life easier for the dungeoneers, not for making things possible at all.

Some of the locations in s5 were very pleasant as you say, but that's kind of the problem if you think about it. They're not very scary, and this isn't Wish You Were Here. The photographic locations never seemed to have any built-in hazards in them, unlike places like the Mills Of Doom or he Corridors of Blades/Spears.
rachelesque
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by rachelesque »

HStorm wrote:Spells should be about making life easier for the dungeoneers, not for making things possible at all.

Some of the locations in s5 were very pleasant as you say, but that's kind of the problem if you think about it. They're not very scary, and this isn't Wish You Were Here. The photographic locations never seemed to have any built-in hazards in them, unlike places like the Mills Of Doom or he Corridors of Blades/Spears.
i disagree on the magic front. mages are powerful, magic should be earned (not found on STUPID scrolls in level 1), preferably collected (i loved the fillet spell creation - that was a great plotline) or at least granted by a high level mage.

magic shouldn't be making life easier, it should be essential for beating a high up mage. and collecting the spell should be a big part of level 3 IMO

i can see your point about winteria though. i liked the mines they had in the earlier series, i can't remember when but it was early and i think it was through the eyeshield so possibly series 4.

they were all crumbling walls and it was so dark and deep and looked wonderfully level 3.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Yes, I agree magic should be earned, I'm just not sure that the death of the quest should be pre-ordained from the moment that the team fails to earn some. It makes the whole experience seem awfully linear.
Wolfshead
Knight
Knight

Post by Wolfshead »

OK what about the best level 1 and 2's

Or how about if you could mix and match levels which ones would you put together

Level 1
Combination of series 3 and 8

Level 2
Series 3 with Dungeon rooms from Series 4 excludingDooris

Level 3
Combination of Series 1-4 and 7
SrWilson3S
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by SrWilson3S »

Series 4 level 3 was good in Giles quest since they got everything COB , Bridge, B n T, Transporter(even though season ended). And even Mogdread appeared lovely.

Series 5 was kinda short and had no real trouble.

Series 6 one was alright when they had cob and big causeway etc.

Series 3 was good too especially Ross quest where they died.
sleegol
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by sleegol »

yo, i hear ya!
KNEEL DOWN AND KISS THE HELMET!!
Wolfshead
Knight
Knight

Post by Wolfshead »

How about the worst level 3

I would have to say 5-6

4 was lacking I admit, but it had some real dangers.