Knightmare Werewolf - Weremare?

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Knightmare Werewolf - Weremare?

Post by Mystara »

After popular request and after having now seen the game's popularity at a few meetups, I have developed a Knightmare themed version of one night ultimate werewolf for Knightmare chat.

Testing/playing this Sunday.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Knightmare Werewolf - Weremare?

Post by Mystara »

Thanks to everyone that helped out with this. I haven't seen chat so busy in years.

Apologies for the bugs. Unfortunately, the programming language used for the script doesn't highlight most bugs until you actually run it, which is unhelpful.

Anyhow the bugs that were identified have been squashed and I've played a number of thrilling games against myself usibg multiple chat windows. Funnily enough I win every time!

This evening, I'm going to implement:

Sidris (troublemaker), who randomly swaps two players' cards,
Hordriss (seer), who can peek at one player's card or two centre cards, and
????? (robber), exchanges cards with another player and then looks at what their new card is.

I am trying to think of a character for the third role. They should be on the side of the powers that be. That they know the role they acquire implies they are (street)wise. That they take it from another player implies theft, adaptation, or emulation.

How about Stilleta?

It would be good if we could do another test before Sunday. Would anyone happen to be around on Friday evening for a combination test/play?
Mashibinbin
Staff
Staff

Post by Mashibinbin »

I should be ok for Friday evening all things permitted.

As for troublemaker would Sylvester Hands be a good fit instead?

For Seer I'd go for either Hordriss or Grimaldine.

As for thief Stiletta works as does Fidgit.

see you Friday mayhap.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Oh yes, I never considered Fidge.

Sylvester Hands - I thought about this, but he's really part of the opposition, whereas the Robber is part of the town (powers that be).
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

I think Stiletta is a better fit for the thief position than Fidjit (he isn't really a thief; a rogue, maybe, but not really a thief...).

Elita might be a good troublemaker (she genuinely makes trouble, as opposed to Sidriss, who does so accidentally - and she's a neutral, so not really an Opposition character...)

Are you going to introduce a witch at some point? Might I suggest Heggatty for that, as opposed to Greystagg, who I'm sure would be too aloof for such matters?
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Pooka wrote:I think Stiletta is a better fit for the thief position than Fidjit (he isn't really a thief; a rogue, maybe, but not really a thief...).
Fidjit *is* a thief (according to himself and the Opposition), though we never saw him do any thieving!
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Thanks for the help last night, everyone.
Game is looking good.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Tested this again last night after a break of a few weeks. Thanks to everyone for all the positive feedback. It's good to see that everyone seems to like it, and just as pleased that the newbies liked it. I think it's been a while since chat was so full.

A number of bugs were fixed, but there's one I haven't been able to squash. I'll see if I can get to it during the week.

A few people asked about new roles. I won't add these until the game is bug-free since it becomes much harder to debug things while adding new code. However, the next roles to be added will be: minion (on the side of the opposition) and tanner (who tries to get himself killed). I think the suggestions made so far were Skeletron (for minion) and Gargoyle (for tanner).
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Really enjoyed this last, even though I wasn't very good at it! Good turnout too, so that's always a good thing.

If you have not played this before, come and give it a try!
The only way is onward, there is no turning back.
Mashibinbin
Staff
Staff

Post by Mashibinbin »

Great stuff...

for Minion I'd go for Sylvester Hands as he's best suited to carry out the opposition's dirty work.

Tanner I'd agree Gargoyle is the only suicidal one although Scaramonger in his final scene was equally full of woe and self pity.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

The difficulty with hands is that the minion is subservient to the goblins.
In particular, the minion works for the opposition, but the opposition win even if the minion dies. A skeletron was the only thing that I could think of that might be subservient to a goblin.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

I've fixed the bugs that most recently occurred and despite my plans to the contrary, I've made a few interface improvements - e.g. to list people that are in the game when you have to choose a player.

I'm happy to play it tonight if we get enough people.
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Sounds good. Will try to make it earlier but if not, will have to be usual time aroud half 9ish.
The only way is onward, there is no turning back.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Updates

- A vocal minority complained about the use of the term "lynch". Although I disagree with the objection, I don't think lynching is a very Knightmaresque punishment. Accordingly, the game now refers to "fireball"ing the losing player(s). I look forward to there being a dramatic increase in player numbers as a consequence of this change.

- Added "Gargoyle". The gargoyle tries to get itself killed. If it succeeds then it wins and all other players lose (this is a slight simplification of the werewolf rules, which get ridiculously complicated).

- Added "Skeletron". The skeletron knows who the goblins are and wins if the goblins win, but is not a member of the opposition (people neither win nor lose based on the skeletron being voted for).

- Rewrote a few bits of text to make the game a bit easier to follow.

Should be able to play with the new version on Sunday if there are enough players.

Next roles to implement:

"Insomniac" (PTB) acts at the end of the night phase and looks at his card. Consequently, he knows for certain what his role is when the day begins. I'm not sure who this might correspond with. Someone that is very much aware of who they are?

I don't feel there are any other roles that are essential to the game. The only other one I would consider is:

"Drunk" (PTB) swaps his card with one of the centre cards, but does not look at it. The character is somewhat random and chaotic, which made me think of possibly Elita or Gundrada?

Someone else? Got a character that you particularly want to see in the game? Speak up!
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

- Added "Treguard" who acts at the end of the night phase and looks at his card.