Series 5 - Episode 15

HarveyTowers
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Re:Series 5 Episode 15

Post by HarveyTowers »

"Their from Winsor, so they should be keen on castles."

Elita seems to like the box, maybe it's comfy in there?

The Gatemater tells them magic is banned, but they still decide to use the SESAME spell.

Dungeoneer whispered when told to shout halt before being sliced by the blades. I have to say that I would be mixed up over what were doors and doors are windows.

"Hobgoblins don't go cheap!"
No, they go
Good night out there; whatever you are!
djoska
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Re:Series 5 Episode 15 (Fri. 21st)

Post by djoska »

Can someone tell me more about that pooka that appeared through the eyeshield?

I always wanted to know exactly what that was- I was more used to the other pookas of later series.

Can any one help me out with an audio clip of these older pookas and the animation sequence??

It would be much appreciated and you may benefit from seeing it in the Knightmare PC game I am planning to release soon (as freeware)
Keep a look out for my Knew Knightmare PC game!!
V1.0 coming soon!!!!
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Pookas have been discussed in other threads, so hopefully you got your answers.

I like the way that Series 5 featured many one-off (or at most, two-off) revivals of regular Series 4 features: Oakley, Ariadne, assassins (the Series 7 creature mentioned by Jim was called a grayling), the Boatman rowing, the Crazed Heifer (where the Boatman can be seen... not rowing) and, in this episode, the woodland haunting (a.k.a. old-style pooka) that appeared during the eyeshield sequence.
Jim wrote:
I didn't hear Kelly's last name.
It was Stansfield - Kelly Stansfield. :)

I wonder if she's related to the singer Lisa....
I wonder about this as well, considering that they are both from Rochdale. I've even emailed lisa-stansfield.com about it. But that was over two weeks ago, and I haven't received a reply. Something tells me I never will. (Been around the web and I I I, I can't find the answer...)
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.
Selphie
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Selphie »

Elves are more susceptible to the cold than humans are they? Well then why is pickle wearing the equivalent of shorts and t-shirt while Treguard's sitting there in full winter gear complete with cloak? Hmm bad continuity I think, would have been much simpler to change the dialogue so that it was along the lines of 'it really is cold, because even Pickle is cold, and we know that elves don't feel the cold as much as humans do' .

Oh no, another team where only one of the advisers speaks! The guy who was speaking wasn't bad, but we all know teams like this come to a sticky end eventually.

I like the gatekeeper, I think he should have been used more instead of random characters at the end of level 1. He would have been a really good old style guardian, asking 3 questions and sticking the dungeoneer with the pike if they didn't get enough right!

I can see why they got confused about how many floors they were going down, the windows are nearly as big as the doors and 7 down is a long way and certainly harder to count then the 1 down of other teams. On a random tangent, do you think that descenders can go up? ;) The team had no chance in the corridor of blades; they stepped onto it and they were sliced almost immediately! Although they took the fright knight door it seemed somewhat harsh to give them a room they didn't stand a chance of surviving. It seemed a bit of a disproportionate response to me.

New team and they all speak, hurrah! ;D

On another note, it's been interesting to watch how during the course of the series the spyglasses have been better integrated into the quests. They've gone from being snippets of conversation that don't have much to do with the plot to a method for gathering vital information (passwords, causeway codes etc.). It's all building up to series 6 which is my absolute favourite ;D
A revolution without dancing isn't a revolution worth having.
Helvellyn
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Helvellyn »

Selphie wrote:I can see why they got confused about how many floors they were going down, the windows are nearly as big as the doors and 7 down is a long way and certainly harder to count then the 1 down of other teams.
I fully agree with you there. The Descender is something I was never sure about, whether some of the openings were open doors or just windows, and by the time the advisors got the message to the dungeoneer and the dungeoneer shouted "stop" they could easily miss a door. I'll have to watch closely some time to see if the scenes always add up.
Selphie
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Selphie »

I gave up trying to count the doors myself because of the picture cutting back to the advisers I realised I actually had no idea how many levels they'd gone down by. I can only assume that with the delay from the advisers to the dungeoneer shouting stop, the team would have been given the benefit of the doubt. I guess the descender scene must have been edited a lot and maybe they really did go a lot lot further than they were meant to which is why they got an inescapable corridor of blades when they landed. Another one of those things that we will never know! *sighs*

I'm also still confused if when faced with two doors and the right one having the symbol of the frightknight above it, which one was the right choice to take. I think that it really didn't matter but since I've watched the earlier seasons I've started to get nervous when teams take the left hand door! The later series it really didn't seem to matter at all.
A revolution without dancing isn't a revolution worth having.
Redthir
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Re: Series 5 Episode 15 (Fri. 21st)

Post by Redthir »

It looked to me as if Duncan only actually went down 5 levels. Most of those were windows and not doors, which is probably why the lift didn't stop. Those windows make it difficult to work out how many levels you've actually gone down, and although it's unlikely they may've passed another level whilst we were seeing the team.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Series 5 Episode 15

Post by Canadanne »

Selphie wrote:Elves are more susceptible to the cold than humans are they? Well then why is pickle wearing the equivalent of shorts and t-shirt while Treguard's sitting there in full winter gear complete with cloak?
Yeah, and how come when Ben met Elita in Winteria, Treguard made a point of observing that "she needs no special garments even in this icy place"? I hate it when they contradict themselves like that!

Elita tells Duncan "you'll have to break back into the greenwood and find the gate tower", but he arrives at the gate tower in the very next scene, without going through the wood at all! Then they open the gate and find a scroll on the floor of the Descender, which was clearly not there in the external shot. :P

As far as the floor-counting debacle is concerned, the advisors are obviously counting the windows as floors which I don't think is an unreasonable assumption (and I don't think they would be penalised for it). I believe their mistake is either that they don't tell him to say HALT until *after* they've passed the seventh floor (too late!), or that Duncan says it so quietly that the director doesn't hear him. (His pet hate was apparently "teams that whisper, so that he can't hear what they are saying", and this would seem to be a clear example of it.) When the lift fails to stop, the team just sit there like lemons for another ten minutes before suggesting that Duncan repeat the command - I expect they might have been let off if they'd reacted a bit quicker!
LiamABC
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by LiamABC »

All this talk about Duncan in the corridor of blades reminds me of something:

When Pickle asks where they got to, if not level 2 . . .

does anyone else think this is the fabled SHORTCUT that Dunstan and Oliver used in series 8? It certainly fits . . .
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

shadow6162
Knight
Knight

Post by shadow6162 »

This episode by far had the scariest spyglass sequence in my opinion. When Lord Fear went: "Tracking...NOW!" the way he moved his mouth whilst saying it and then his eyes glowing suddenly just made me **** myself. And whenever I look back over my spyglass video I always skip that part so I can avoid having nightmares about it ;D ;D ;D
Many years ago I wrote fanfictions. Now I attempt to write sanely.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Series 5 Episode 15

Post by Canadanne »

When Treguard dismisses Duncan, is that the last time we ever see him spellcasting anything until the Geek Week episode? It's interesting that he uses magic to pull people out of the dungeon in the early series, but from Series 5 onward, they always have to find their own way out or be physically rescued by someone.
Morghanna
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Morghanna »

Team 8 found a closed chest and surprise, surprise: Elita was inside. :D She was less abusive than usual because they released her. She got shirty when they asked her to repeat the spell name tho. ;D

Loved the way the Gatemaster tells them no combat or magic, then they cast a spell to open the gate. :D

They really had a shocker in the descender. Told to descend 7 levels, Ian told Duncan to say, "Stop!" but he reacted too slowly and also mumbled it and they kept going. Finally stopped in the wrong place.
Entered into a super-fast corridor of blades and were sliced almost immediately! 8-o
Their reaction said everything. They didn't even look that disappointed....

I agree with others who have suggested that this super-fast corridor of blades might have offered the first short-cut to level 3, had they survived it. Tough challenge tho. An excellent team would have found it difficult and i think it's fair to say that team 8 could not be described as excellent....

Team 9 are a different prospect altogether. Immediately they looked really enthusiastic and actually worked together as a full team.
Yet again we see the injustice of having a good team, right at the end of a series, who won't have time to complete their quest. >:(
Chose the correct clue objects, altho the choice was easy enough as there was also a dagger.
Tricked into buying a (goblin) horn by Hands, which caused a great scene when they used it in the greenwood. Enter a furious Gwendoline. 8-o She gave Kelly quite a hefty shove and made several nasty comments about her being thick. >:(
Nice to see Gwendoline getting stuck into ale at the inn tho. Good for her! "Why shouldn't girls drink beer?" 8)
"I think it's about time you got wise to the ways of real magic. The kind that is borne on the dark side." >:D
asrl07
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by asrl07 »

When going down in the descender, do you only count doors and ignore windows? It seems to go window - door- window - door, so the dungeoneer has to say halt after passing the sixth door if they are descending seven levels. It is no good shouting halt when the seventh door appears as the descender will not be able to halt until the eighth door.
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

I've been wondering about that.

Some teams count out loud as the Descender goes past levels, and whether or not they are counting windows, I'm wondering if the production team realise what they are doing and giving them safe passage because they understood what they were meant to do (whether or not windows actually count!)
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.