Knightmare Discussion Forum Convention

A place to discuss public real-life meetups.
VickyJackson
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Knightmare Day

Post by VickyJackson »

Hello all, I'm new to your forum, its very impressive. I just wanted to ask a hypothetical question. Has there ever been a sort of Knightmare convention? If not, if somebody organised a Knightmare event, with screenings of the show and perhaps former writers, actors, contestants and maybe some kind of recreated game which teams could compete in; would any of you guys be interested in coming and how far would you travel to go to it?

The reason I ask is I'm a film archiving student and I'm writing my dissertation on the untapped potential of 'cult tv' material in the vaults of many regional archives in Britain. I'm investigating how this material can be used and whether anyone is actually interested in going to events such as a Knightmare Day. I've also got to find out whether the material would even be available to do it.

Cheers :)
Scott_Wilkinson
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Re:Knightmare Day

Post by Scott_Wilkinson »

Vicky, let me just say this to you...

"That's the most brilliant idea anyone has ever come up with!"

I would like to be the first to take your offer on taking part in this, hopefully I would like to get my sister on this as well (considering she was a fan ever since I showed her the episodes in 1998.)

As for how far I would be able to travel, I can only say either Leyton, Leytonstone, Stratford or Walthamstow in London.

That's all I can do I'm afraid, I grew up travelling around these areas and know them well.

Hope I can be in.

(I'm begging! ;D Please?)
The number one Children's programme of all time for me is, was and always will be the one and only... Knightmare.
Billy
Knight
Knight

Post by Billy »

It's certainly a very interesting question.

I think the most obvious day for a 'Knightmare Day' would be the 7th September, the anniversary of when the first episode was broadcast. In 2005, though, that takes place on a Wednesday, which may make things tricky.
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

This has been mentioned before, even going so far as to find out where we could possibly hold one.

I think many members would like something like this, personally distance is not a problem with me (I travel around a lot visiting KM and KMRPG persons anyway.)

It's a nice thought, I only hope one day it can actually happen.
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Hi, Vicky. The subject of a Knightmare convention comes up periodically on the forum, and always generates some enthusiasm. It hasn't happened yet (in a sense, this forum is the best place for an ongoing, all-inclusive 'Knightmare Day'), but we do have the Knightmare RPG - an annual event where members of the fan community get together to film a version of Knightmare, the aim being that once the footage has been edited etc., quests can be run interactively via the Knightmare Chatroom. There's more background to be found on the Interactive Knightmare website (http://ikm.ezri.mine.nu).

Time and money permitting, Knightmare fans do have a tendency to travel considerable distances to visit one another... because we live considerable distances apart! A lot of my 'Knightmare meet-ups' have been over 100 miles from home, and I think that many people would be prepared to travel that far for a Knightmare convention.
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.
Snowcat
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Snowcat »

The Tigger is in agreement with the above! ;)

In all honesty, I doubt that a stand-alone 'KM Day' would do particularly well because, although many people remember the show if given a small prompt, the majority have lost Knightmare to obscurity......

However, If such an event was added to an existing Sci-Fi/Cult event, the sky could quite easily be the limit!

Few people other than the die-hards in here would travel a long distance to a Knightmare event (KM simply doesn't have the clout of 'Star Trek/Wars/Gate' and programs like 'The Avengers' because it was a Gameshow rather than a 'Drama Series') but having a section of an exisisting get-together would generate a lot of "OOOOh! it's the beardy bloke from whatchamacallit!". It would create interest/ nostalgia and rekindle at lot of fond memories in people who haven't found KM.com yet...

Include the possibilities of running 'Live' quests at the show and possibly runs of things like 'TimeGate', 'KMVR' or any of a hundred different projects that are in the offing my fans and Makers alike. It makes more and more chance of 'Proper' TV and entertainment being commisioned rather than all the money-grabbing BS that we've had over the last few years by showing what TV with a BRAIN and a little BRAVERY can look like...
There are but 2 rules in this realm:-
1) He who sees first is the winner...
2) He who is seen first is toast...
TuragaNuju
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by TuragaNuju »

Yes, It should be done

Yes, I wouold travel as far as possible within the UK

Yes, We should have it in Milton Keynes

Yes, I am just advertising so i dont have to travel so far

Yes, I like saying yes

Yes, I cant stop now

Yes, We ought to have all the old cast, some of the items *Helmet, Shiled etc*

Yes, I can stop now
Treguard: "Ooh.. nasty. Still, We Can Have A Toilet Break Now - I'm Bursting!"
Billy
Knight
Knight

I had an insane idea...

Post by Billy »

September 2007 will mark twenty years since Knightmare began on TV. To celebrate this, how about...

...a Knightmare Convention!

The idea's been brought up again and again and again, way back since the early 90s (Tommy Boyd said in his 1992 'The Quest' interview that there might be ones in 'ten years time'), but nothing's ever come to fruititon. Sure, you have teh RPG, the socials, and even Knightmare Chat, but how about we do something big? Especially as nothing was done for the 10th anniversary in 1997, though admittedly the online fanbase back then amounted to about 4 people.

We could have all the cast, crew, everything...line them up for a huge Q&A session or something. Surely Hugo, David, Jackie, Tim, etc, would all love to do it. As mentioned in an earlier thread, the proceeds could go to a children's charity.

If we start now, we'll have over a year and a half to organise it. It'd be fantastic to celebrate 20 years of Knightmare in style! How about it?
Becxsmagic
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Re:I had an insane idea...

Post by Becxsmagic »

I think we'd better start planning now, things like where it'll be and such, that's where plans seem to slip.
Great idea, I'd love to see this actually happening and not being discussed. Especially if KM celebs were there!
Whereever you go, there you are
TuragaNuju
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by TuragaNuju »

It all depends where the Fan-Base is.

We need to look at Geographical conveniance.

I for example am in Milton Keynes.
Treguard: "Ooh.. nasty. Still, We Can Have A Toilet Break Now - I'm Bursting!"
TheBrollachan
Knight
Knight

Post by TheBrollachan »

Turaga Nuju wrote: It all depends where the Fan-Base is.

We need to look at Geographical conveniance.

I for example am in Milton Keynes.
Perfect excuse for me to plug the Knightmarer's map...
http://www.frappr.com/knightmare

...seriously though the more people who pin-point themselves on the map the easier it is to work out where the fan base is.
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SmokeHits
Keeper of the original modellers' cast of the Brollachan.
Velda
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Velda »

I added myself - nice to see a KM fan from Kilmarnock there too (Harvey Towers) :D
Becxsmagic
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Becxsmagic »

Just a small point-I don't know who else this applies to but in September 2007 I will be in college/university. That's not important, what is is I don't know where I'll be for the convention. ???
OK, that's not important either but it's something to take into consideration that some of us may not be where we are now...
Last edited by Becxsmagic on 09 Jan 2006, 21:36, edited 1 time in total.
Whereever you go, there you are
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

It doesn't have to be exactly September. It could be held in the month that filming on the first season was recorded or something.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
Madmogsue
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Madmogsue »

*prods Hstorm* ello you....

yeah this sounds like a great idea....

another scot here.... *added meself to the map*
Last edited by Madmogsue on 10 Jan 2006, 16:44, edited 1 time in total.
Kupo? kupopo?!?