Series 2 - Episode 8

pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Re: Series 2 - Episode 8

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Yeah it is most likely the next team hadn't arrived yet so the production team let them carry on.
The only way is onward, there is no turning back.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Re: Series 2 - Episode 8 - Stalactite

Post by Drassil »

Canadanne wrote:Mildread gives them this mysterious word STALACTITE, remarking that "the word is mightier than the sword". Were they perhaps supposed to use the word instead of the dagger?
That would have been far too subtle for them. ;) Granitas told them that the dagger was not for use against flesh, and Treguard later emphasised that the cavernwraith had no flesh, so I think they did what they were meant to do. In Series 4, we again saw a dagger that was intended for use as a magical object rather than a weapon.

When the team tried giving "stalactite" to Cedric, he replied that it wasn't the password "for this level". This supports the theory that it would have got them past Gumboil on Level 1, had they encountered him. Gumboil tended to carry a sword...
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Drassil wrote:
When the team tried giving "stalactite" to Cedric, he replied that it wasn't the password "for this level". This supports the theory that it would have got them past Gumboil on Level 1, had they encountered him. Gumboil tended to carry a sword...
l

There may have been a chance then that the quest was edited. Otherwise surely the team would had to encounter Gumboil at the end of level 1? That's as far as the team should have got to anyway!
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

They still tried to use the word, so even if things were cut they couldn't have used it on level one. Unless it was one of Mildred's tricks.

It was probably means to be the level one password and in the end they didn't bother with it. Guess we may never know.
It's always the cracked ones that let the light in
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Yeah only Tim Child or Neil and the team can say what really happened while all we can do is speculate!
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Series 2 - Episode 8 - Stalactite

Post by Canadanne »

Drassil wrote:When the team tried giving "stalactite" to Cedric, he replied that it wasn't the password "for this level". This supports the theory that it would have got them past Gumboil on Level 1, had they encountered him. Gumboil tended to carry a sword...
Oh, hmm, that's an interesting observation! You could be onto something there - that it WAS a valid password, just not the one they needed.
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Canadanne wrote:
Drassil wrote:When the team tried giving "stalactite" to Cedric, he replied that it wasn't the password "for this level". This supports the theory that it would have got them past Gumboil on Level 1, had they encountered him. Gumboil tended to carry a sword...
Oh, hmm, that's an interesting observation! You could be onto something there - that it WAS a valid password, just not the one they needed.
This convinces me even more that a edit took place. The team wouldn't be aware of this and would be none the wiser. Could there be a possibility the actor who played Gumboil might not have been available at the time so the production team had to alter the script? Maybe instead of shooting a scene with Gumboil they let the team use the dagger which was the correct thing to do and then carry on from level 2?
Morghanna
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Morghanna »

Team 7 didn't do well in the clue room with only 1/3 against Granitas. However, they still got a vital clue, that the dagger could be used, tho not against flesh. After some indecision, they took the potion not the bone.
So they got to Mildread and she wanted a bone for her cauldron! 8-o Their reaction showed that they thought they were doomed. There was a noticeable sigh of relief when she surprisingly accepted the potion instead. Was this a let-off for team 7, or was it an example of Mildread's twisted humour? :question:

They used the dagger to get rid of the cavernwraith in the well room. Was this the first time a team had successfully used a weapon in Knightmare? :question:

Quickly reached the clue room in level 2, but there was only a key (which they took) and some bones, which they eventually left. Were the producers trying to see if the team could be tricked into taking the bones this time? :question: ;D

Next, the vale of Mogdred and one of the most memorable scenes in Knightmare history:
Mogdred spell cast "SHROUD" so that Neil disappeared. They then tried to dispel several times ;D ;D each time forgetting the letter O, then discussed several other useless ideas, before heavy hinting from Treguard finally sorted them out. ::)

Very competently won the combat chess, but dithered in the hall of spears. Quickly got out of Ariadne's room, then summoned Merlin just before time froze again.
"I think it's about time you got wise to the ways of real magic. The kind that is borne on the dark side." >:D
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Clue objects they shouldn't have left behind

Post by Pooka »

I've always been interested in the item choices of Series 2, Team 7. There were given a hint (told outright, really) that they needed a bone to give to Mildread, which they didn't have.

However, she did nevertheless accept the potion named "Potion" in its stead, which I found odd. She also them gave them "just a word" - Stalactite - which I'm assuming was a red herring, as they didn't need to use it even once, and even tried to give it as a password at one point.

I'm wondering what Mildread may have given them if they HAD the correct clue item. I suspect it may not have been anything more useful, as they completed the level without any problems anyway. They may, of course, have been let off on this occasion.

I wonder what the point of 'Stalactite' was, then, if not to just throw them off?
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Re: S2 E8 - Was the SHROUD scene staged?

Post by Drassil »

Billy wrote: 24 Aug 2013, 13:34 Has anyone noticed that Mogdred starts laughing before they've finished errornously dispelling the word? How on earth did he/John Woodnutt know they were going to get it wrong and miss the O so quickly?
After all the stuff that's been said about the 'SHRUD scene', by me and by others - including a recording and video of my Let It Be/Letter O song parody by two nice people on Twitter - I wasn't sure I had anything further to say. But after watching it again recently, I've realised that, despite how entertaining it is, it just doesn't feel right to me.

Parts of it feel too convenient and too contrived. For example:
  • Mark knowing immediately to dispel SHROUD – you can hear him saying "Right, say 'Dispel'" before the spell has even taken hold – yet repeatedly making an elementary mistake. This happens to turn an encounter that would've been brief and anticlimactic into a unique and entertaining episode.
  • One advisor saying "Dispel" before a different advisor does the dispelling: this isn't logical and I can't recall any other team doing this. More precisely, what happens is: Jason says "Dispel"; it cuts to Mogdred looking startled; it cuts back to the advisors and Mark is doing the dispelling.
  • "Turn spell": totally unexplained.
  • Treguard giving a hint that so specifically complements both his constraint and the team's mistake ("Oooo"), followed by a bigger yet equally specific hint ("Le..tter... O"). If these were thought up for Hugo Myatt on the spur of the moment by Tim Child, they confirm his brilliance.
  • Before his correct dispelling, it sounds like Mark is double-checking that "Dispel" is the correct term, despite his instant certainty about using it earlier.
  • The timing and nature of some of the advisers' comments, particularly Mark saying "Yes! We've got him!" when the aim was to undo the shroud with no expectation that Mogdred would be affected.
In short, I've decided that I can't take the scene at face value. I find it easier to believe that it was staged or partially staged. This is, of course, speculation with no testimony to back it up.

Having said that, one interesting fact has come to light about this period of the Series 2 filming. Stuart Leatherland, the next dungeoneer, said recently on Twitter:
'We were late to the party. We were asked to get there for the Friday morning but I had tickets for Dolphins/49ers at Wembley that weekend. So they let us go on Monday.'
Well done to those of you who speculated about that earlier in this thread. Could it explain why Team 7 enjoy such a staggering amount of lenience, and minimal resistance to them reaching Level 3? Was their quest stretched because Team 8 were delayed? Might some rooms even have been retrospectively filmed and added? Again, speculation.
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.