Knightmare Choose Your own adventure

Interested in offering help to the Knightmare community? Make or respond to requests for help here.
Dunshelm
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Knightmare Choose Your own adventure

Post by Dunshelm »

Hello all. My name is Anthony
I might be new here but I am obsessed with Knightmare and always have been for as long as I can remember.
So recently I made a 'choose your own adventure' which is roughly 200 'sections long' and based on the series 3 dungeon, in the style of the books, and saved it as a pdf.
If you dare to brave the dungeon...step forward and don't delay!
But I have no idea how to post it so you lot can download it. If you could reply and help me with this, much appreciation will be directed torwards you.
Thanks
- A distinctly magical fashion and therefore somewhat unreliable
MoanaLiza
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Knightmare Choose Your own adventure

Post by MoanaLiza »

I was wondering though how do you put something into .pdf format, which I was trying to do onetime and couldn't figure out how though! You could (if you can) email it to illusion (the webmaster) and perhaps he'll put it onto the main site or something.
The Forum Moana and chief honey pot carrier!
"Come and take a gander at this bit of ugliness"
Dunshelm
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Dunshelm »

Illusion's email is hidden!

And you need Adobe Acrobat, not just the free reader, the actual full program
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

I hesitate to paste it here, but if you go to the main site and select "Contact" then click on "email" you can find an email address. I assume it still works. There's also a link to that page via the forum FAQ.

It sounds a great idea, btw.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

You could e-mail to me if you want, and I'll put some nice touches to it before putting it up on the forum.
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
Illusion
Knight
Knight

Post by Illusion »

Just to add that Anthony has contacted me and will be sending through his adventure.
You're on the edge of a ledge...
Dunshelm
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Dunshelm »

I have sent it through to 'Zagor'
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

And I have forwarded it to 'Illusion' at his address at:
info@knightmare.clara.net  ;)
James Aukett
Dunshelm
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Dunshelm »

OK it still hasn't been posted!
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Emii »

It takes time - don't panic ;D
"The alarm, Master! The opposition's tracked them! Oh good grief...look - Lord Fear's frozen Christopher!"
Snowcat
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Snowcat »

Patience my friend...

It'll show-up....

There is no reason in the grand scheme of things for it not to at some point.

AJK
There are but 2 rules in this realm:-
1) He who sees first is the winner...
2) He who is seen first is toast...
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

With a little bit of luck it could feature in knightmare.com's 5th anniversary update  8)
James Aukett
JoeGrocottJames
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Knightmare 'choose your own adventure'

Post by JoeGrocottJames »

A few comments on the Knightmare Choose your Own Adventure by Anthony Thompson (but I will note that it is pretty good in general):

About the riddles - changing the 'Wingdings' to any other font, for me, just left me with squares. I was able to use it by typing out the alphabet (in uppercase) in Wingdings at the top. (Incidentally, the first Golgarach riddle answer does not correspond with the actual answer in the text). It would have been better to use white text (I think it is under the Format menu in Word) - this also would not give away the number of letters in the answer.

Also, an error with Merlin's throne room - if you have the first step, you are told that it appears, and if you then have the second step, the paragraph reads as if you have not made the first step appear and have to jump the gap. (Oops.)

One more thing, I think that there are a few too many chances - in the level 1 clue room, you can get away with choosing only one of the two correct objects and in the level 2 clue room, you can take 3 objects, yet one remains unused.

With these Knightmare quests and others such as the first Knightmare gamebook, they are sometimes a bit problematic. The problem is that the individual quests on the programme (as experienced by any particular team) are only designed to be attempted once - thus it is made such that, if you follow all the clues and do everything right, you will win - there are no random choices such as to turn left or right with totally different stuff either way. However, a gamebook such as Fighting Fantasy can be attempted many times - you have to remember things in different attempts, so gamebooks that follow the format of Knightmare exactly (such as the first Knightmare book, Ali Everett's first Knightmare quest (not the Dark Talisman) or the Knightmare quest that was in TES, in I Think I Read Somewhere, can't remember which issues) end up being very linear - you have to do everything right or die, and if you do die and play it again, you have to do everything up to what you have already done, which can grow tedious. While the later Knightmare gamebooks are more 'open' in this respect, I do not think they are true to Knightmare, they are just labelled 'Knightmare' and have characters from Knightmare but are closer to gamebooks such as Fighting Fantasy (although simpler). I think Ali Everett solved this problem best with the Dark Talisman quest. (Incidentally, Ali Everett, if you are reading this, is there any progress on Knightmare 3?)

By the way, is this the quest that was mentioned by Dunshelm on this forum? I ask because Dunshelm, said that you needed the full Adobe Acrobat program and not just the free reader, but this quest only requires Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Thanatos
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Re: Knightmare 'choose your own adventure'

Post by Thanatos »

Try changing the font to one of the Times New Roman Special fonts.
"The Tory Party is the cream of society: rich, thick and full of clots." - anonymous
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Knightmare 'choose your own adventure'

Post by JamesA »

The reason why Fighting Fantasy books are more challenging is because they offer more scope for adventure. They normally contain 400 sections whereas the Knightmare gamebooks only contained a maximum of 170, mainly due to the fact that they were an accompaniment to the main Knightmare story in the book.

If you read the first Knightmare book, "Can You Beat The Challenge", you will see what I mean.
James Aukett