new helmet

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
Enigma
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

new helmet

Post by Enigma »

after seeing yesterday's episode, I just wondered if the new helmet (in addition to allowing the use of the sight spell) was intended to prevent dungeoneers from seeing too much around them. Often in the earlier series' dungeoneers seem to know where they're going without instruction from their advisors. In yesterday's episode the movement was quite clumsy and the dungeoneer seemed unsure of where he was going, even in the initial dwarf-tunnel when most previous dungeoneers have just ploughed straight ahead. The new helmet goes in at the neck a bit more, meaning the dungeoneer has to rely more on his/her advisors, which is surely the point.
what do other's think? Personally I preferred the design of the old helmet, it being more distinctive, but if I'm right about this, then far from each series being made progressively easier this might represent a concerted effort to seperate good teams from poor teams (with dungeoneers being able to see less themselves teams with poor direction commands will probably lose in number puzzle type rooms)
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Re:new helmet

Post by Drassil »

*This is Kieran using Drassil's account.

Well, as am sure a few are aware now, helmets/other props were used for this years RPG. I can confirm that the visor helmet is a lot more restricting of vision.

Mainly the visor came along to help with the budding VR technology, ie what you see when the use a Sight/Visor spell or potion.

As for the earlier helmet, a lot more can be seen, which would suggest it is a fair comment to suggest the visor helmet was brought in to combat the visual issue as well as the VR technology.
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Emii »

Yeah, I agree with Drassil - it certainly seemed that way.

I also agree with you, Enigma - the old style helmet was much more recognisable and tends to be the one everyone remembers :)
"The alarm, Master! The opposition's tracked them! Oh good grief...look - Lord Fear's frozen Christopher!"
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Another thing that bears mentioning;-

I found when I tried them out at the RPG that the old helmet was a lot more comfortable to wear than the new one. The cross-beam along the bottom of the new helmet was actually quite painful as I put it on as it really squashed and scraped the nose. :-\
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Emii »

Though that's cos it's made for kids ;D
"The alarm, Master! The opposition's tracked them! Oh good grief...look - Lord Fear's frozen Christopher!"
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Heh, true but it still bears mentioning; they were BOTH made for kids, but the older one is still comfortable for an adult to wear, while the newer one is definitely not.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

The new one looks rather tight to wear but I managed to get it over my head ;D

The other one is easy because it is slightly wider round the base :)
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
KFan
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by KFan »

you had that actual helmet from knightmare? :o
Willowherb
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Willowherb »

I can't honestly say that I remember many dungeoneers guiding themselves around very much when wearing the old helmet, and I don't think the new helmet gave the advisors more to do (thanks to the Eye Shield and the introduction of those darned seeing spells.) Pity there wasn't more need for guiding, because complicated floor puzzles always added to the tension of an episode.

I think I'm about due for promotion... Onwards to the lower levels!
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

KM_Fan wrote: you had that actual helmet from knightmare? :o
The answer to that would be...yes. Both, plus a few other things ;)
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
MPK
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by MPK »

Treguard, Season 7- "I know its a different helmet. Blame her if you must, its her idea!"

I do, and I will! (Besides I wouldn't blame BVA, as KM was his idea in the first place!)
Once again returning... and once again going just as fast!
http://www.abadeducation.com
Pipmuk
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Pipmuk »

How did those sight spells work? Like today on the trial by spikes, they needed to use the SIGHT spell, and the dungeoneer said he could see - yet he still needed guiding! what was the point of the spell?
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

The SIGHT spell and its variations were done using VR goggles inside the visor (which is why they introduced the new helmet). The reason why they included the spells appears to be just as a way to show the technology off. (In other words it was done entirely for its own sake.)

The dungeoneer still needed guidance because the perspective offered by the goggles was pretty useless and confusing. In practical terms there was little point to it.
MoanaLiza
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by MoanaLiza »

What, like the eye shield?
The Forum Moana and chief honey pot carrier!
"Come and take a gander at this bit of ugliness"
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

Eyeshield was there to add some theme of...real adventuring, it works when you're 7, not quite as well when you're 20 odd!
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'