Almost time .... nervous

Discussion and posts relating to the 2014 Knightmare Convention in Norwich
Alex_Smith
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Almost time .... nervous

Post by Alex_Smith »

So, that's it then. My train travel is booked both ways, and my hotel is sorted. I'm arriving in Norwich at half 11 on Saturday morning, checking into the hotel at 12ish and will be at the convention shortly after that. Planning to stay all day, although I just know I wouldn't be able to cope with the midnight hunt so am having to give that a miss.

I'm going to admit right here that I'm nervous. Very nervous. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited too, it's just that I've never done anything like this before, not on my own anyway. I've been around on the forum, on and off, since 1999 but never met anyone, though I have spoken to a few of you on the phone in the distant past. My anxiety is through the roof, and in the past that is what's prevented me from getting more involved than I could have been over the years, but I'm not going to miss this for the world. My question is, is anyone else travelling on their own, feeling the same way? How are you coping?

My brain has been coping with the anxiety by giving me numerous vivid dreams. One involved the play-a-room event, where the room turned out to my parent's old garden shed. Another one saw the streets of Norwich packed with tens of thousands of people, all screaming and cheering, hoping to catch a glimpse of the stars of Knightmare as they pulled up to the studio in abnormally long limos.

I'll post about the most vivid one I've had later, as it's rather in depth and this post is long enough already!
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Re: Almost time .... nervous

Post by wombstar »

Yet after it's all finished not only would have had a great time but you'll wonder why you were worried about it in the first place.

I'm terrible when it comes to nervousness, but iv'e learned it's always worse in your head, afterwards i realise there was nothing to be nervous about. I'm more worried about turning up and not being able to find a empty parking space lol
I'm able to travel great distances alone, car or train i end up having a mental breakdown but i can just manage Norwich... it's on my doorstep.

But arriving shortly after 12? It'll be almost over. :-/
It's always the cracked ones that let the light in
Alex_Smith
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Alex_Smith »

Thanks for that :) Yeah it is worse in my head, that's why I'm ignoring it and just going for it, lol!
wombstar wrote:But arriving shortly after 12? It'll be almost over. :-/
I know it's a bit late but it's the only way I could make it work. It's still 11 hours worth of convention though, so hopefully I'll only miss one or two of the big events.
Alex_Smith
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Alex_Smith »

This is the most vivid dream I've had about the convention. Sorry it's a bit long, but it's too bizarre for me not to share it with anyone.

The convention was now being held in some sort of hotel. I was in a large function room, sitting in the 2nd row from the front. I was with a number of people from the forum, plus people I know from school, work etc. Someone popped up on the stage and told us all that the pre-convention entertainment was about to begin and could we all quieten down.

The first act was Liam and Noel Gallagher, playing an acoustic song that I didn't recognise but knew was an old Oasis track. It was very nice, but we were all a little confused as to what this had to do with Knightmare.

They finished and the next act came on. It was Rob Brydon. He did a little bit of stand up and the stepped off the stage and started chatting to the audience. The chat mostly consisted of things like "Have you seen me on TV?" and "Are you looking forward to the Knightmare convention?" After a few minutes of this, he kind of wandered off and the audience were left feeling a bit confused.

Then two computer generated cartoon dolphins appeared on stage and started performing some sort of comedy sketch. One of them was voiced by Rob Byrdon. Most of us didn't have a clue what was going on but someone in the row behind us explained it was from a kid's show so we just accepted it and carried on watching.

Next, a DJ appeared on stage and started playing some generic dance music. He encouraged each row in turn to stand up, and as we did so our chairs were taken away, until the entire audience was standing up, dancing on a massive dance floor. Out of the blue, a massive stage appeared behind us and we all stopped dancing and turned around. A voice came over the speakers, telling us the main event was now here. Finally, something Knightmare related! But no, the main act was Jessie J.

It was at this point it was starting to occur to a lot of people that this was nothing to do with Knightmare and we began to wonder if we were in the wrong place. I commented to the person next to me who agreed. It didn't seem to faze me that the person I was talking to was 5th Doctor Peter Davison, as he appeared in the 80s, in full costume, complete with celery.

I then remembered that I was due to do the play-a-room event soon, so I asked Mr. Davison what the time was. He told me that it was half 6. I had missed my slot by quite a few hours! I pushed my way through the crowds, trying to exit the function room. On my way I checked my phone. It was actually only a quarter past 5. I'd still missed my slot, but I commented to myself that he obviously wasn't a very good Time Lord if he couldn't tell the time!

Outside of the function room, I searched for the play-a-room event. I saw groups of 4 queuing up at a door. On the door was Alan. I explained that I had missed my slot but he told me there was nothing I could do, and that the team had gone in as a three. The dream ended with me wandering around the hotel lobby, calling out for anyone that might have been missing a team member that I could replace.
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

Oh year Saturday goes on all evening due to the Lord Fear and music.
I'll be there on Sunday so i'll sadly miss those extra events but i'm gonna see if there are still tickets available for Friday, iv'e put my foot down and refusing to go to work!

The worse part wit things like this is traveling especially if you've got to switch trains if you're not used to doing it. I wont do trains anymore not after i got on the wrong one and ended up many miles in the opposite direction.. lol not been on a train since and that was over 11 years ago. 8-o

I just hope there's enough to do for the whole day/between events, not so bad when your with people but on your own that can be awkward.

I don't think i have ever had a KM related dream, or (K)nightmare. ;)
FoxyLF
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by FoxyLF »

Rob Brydon AND Peter Davidson? Now I'm even more excited! ;D
These things are always nerve wracking to go to on your own, but remember you've got at least one common interest with everyone there, probably loads more, you'll get chatting in no time... and between events there's always the bar, that makes everything easier!

Personally I'm a little nervous that I'll be the only one really going for it with the dressing up as a character, it's the first convention we've been to and we want to make an effort... ???
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Hi, Alex. Thank you for starting this thread. I have been meeting fellow Knightmare.com community members in person for over 10 years and I still get anxious. Sometimes very anxious. The Mogdred on my shoulder has never tired of telling me that I'm not up to it and that I shouldn't try to span the pit and cross the comfort zone. But to rule myself out of KM meetups and potential real-world friendships would have been to deny myself the complete KM community experience. And if we didn't have some interest in facing our fear of the unknown, we probably wouldn't be Knightmare fans in the first place.

There is obviously a Merlin on your shoulder who knows you want to do this and senses how much you will get out of it. I'm glad he has got you this far. Don't stop listening to him.
FoxyLF wrote:Personally I'm a little nervous that I'll be the only one really going for it with the dressing up as a character, it's the first convention we've been to and we want to make an effort... ???
Is that the blue dress you tweeted about recently? It's possible that a Skarkill will be at large during the convention, and if so then you won't be the only one in costume!
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

I'll be in costume as one of the famous 'watchers' ;)
Mashibinbin
Staff
Staff

Post by Mashibinbin »

Nerves are a natural part of anticipation and with the exception of Rolercoasters I have managed to put mine to good use whether it was for a play, new work role or most appropiately when I made made first trip to meet a group of fellow fans in Manchester for a RPG social.

The main thing is be yourself and enjoy it as it happens :)
dugeoneerborne
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by dugeoneerborne »

I'm a bit nervous ( & probably magnified a bit more due to My aspergers ), but I'm more nervous about My practical driving test tomorrow ( 2nd attempt, I really hope I pass this time ), still got to work on fan art of km characters ( inc Rowe & Mr Tim Childs for saturday & do a better treguard drawing too.

To tc when I went to nor-con last year I was very nervous at first but really enjoyed it & don't regret it ( first convention I went too ), I'm going with My younger brother to this one ( I really hope I get to be the dungeoneer, guess whoever we end up with we'll need to spin a coin ), in regards to the convention is there a programme detailing everything happening on the saturday along with the times as a few people I know ask Me to enquire about it here & as long as I have the list of my pledges from indiegogo on the day that should be ok?.
Sidestep to your left simon style, simon style..whoop...whoop...whoop...whoop.. sidestep to your left simon style.
dugeoneerborne
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by dugeoneerborne »

Retook practical Driving test ealier today...damn..

I only went and PASSED :D .

BRING ON THE KM CONVENTION :D .
Sidestep to your left simon style, simon style..whoop...whoop...whoop...whoop.. sidestep to your left simon style.
FoxyLF
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by FoxyLF »

dugeoneerborne wrote:Retook practical Driving test ealier today...damn..

I only went and PASSED :D
Fantastic, well done! All the best people pass on the 2nd go ;)
Drassil wrote: Is that the blue dress you tweeted about recently? It's possible that a Skarkill will be at large during the convention, and if so then you won't be the only one in costume!
That's the one, although it's black now thanks to a wise reminder (from you?) about the blue screen! Great news, what's a convention without some people in strange outfits!
dugeoneerborne wrote: & as long as I have the list of my pledges from indiegogo on the day that should be ok?.
I think it's a printout of your confirmation email you need :)
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

Well done on passing your driving test. I did mine on the second attempted the first time I failed for parking too close to a wall at the test centre.. lol.

You could book a send go in the Dungeon and improve your chances of being dungeoneer? (is that allowed?)
Skarkill
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Skarkill »

Drassil wrote:
FoxyLF wrote:Personally I'm a little nervous that I'll be the only one really going for it with the dressing up as a character, it's the first convention we've been to and we want to make an effort... ???
Is that the blue dress you tweeted about recently? It's possible that a Skarkill will be at large during the convention, and if so then you won't be the only one in costume!

Not only will a Skarkill definitely be at large at the convention but I have it on good authority that a Mistress Goody may also be prowling the Convention. :)
Alex_Smith
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Alex_Smith »

Just wanted to thank everyone for their words of encouragement :) It means a lot, thank you. I know it'll all be ok and I'll have a great time. Just a bit of pre-travel jitters now is all.

@wombstar - I've been having Knightmare related dreams since I was little. They've always been my most vivid dreams, probably because Knightmare was a huge part of my life right from the age of 4. I'm not too bad on trains these days, well not on the c2c line anyway. Going to be a bit strange travelling on a different line but I'm sure I'll be ok. :)

@dugeoneerborne - Congrats on passing your test! :) I failed my 2nd one back in 2005, and I've yet to take my 3rd. Myabe one day...

@FoxyLF - It hadn't occurred to me that people would be dressing up! That sounds so cool (if you'll pardon the pun).

@Drassil - Thank you for your kind words. Thinking of the inner argument as personifications of Merlin and Mogdred is inspiring, thank you. It's helped a lot, really!

@Mashibinbin - Thanks, I'll try to be myself without being too quiet. :)

So thanks again everyone, and those of you that will be there on Saturday, see you there!