Knightmare on BritBox

Report and discuss latest knews and developments relating to Knightmare.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Knightmare on BritBox

Post by Drassil »

Drassil wrote: 18 Jan 2021, 18:47 Hope springs eternal that full Knightmare episodes will once more be available to watch legally (Challenge's rights seem to have expired; BritBox, with its growing library of children's TV series, offers new hope).
In what is quite a twist for the 2020s, not all optimism is misplaced optimism. As you may have seen on the homepage or on social media, Knightmare Series 4 will be available on BritBox from Thursday 4th March.

This is welcome and is no small thing. It is:
  • Our first opportunity to legally watch a showing of Knightmare - that is, a transmission or stream of a Series 1-8 episode - since Challenge stopped repeating it in 2016(?);
  • Our first opportunity to watch Knightmare without ad breaks since the CITV Old Skool Weekend in 2013;
  • (I think) our first opportunity to watch Knightmare without a logo since 1994;
  • The fifth decade for Knightmare episode showings.
One take on this that I've seen on Twitter: 'It seems to suggest later, Broadsword produced series of Knightmare are fair game after all for ITV to license?'

It's possible that BritBox are starting with a single Knightmare series to test interest before deciding whether to buy more. (Challenge TV seemed to do the same.) In the press release, Knightmare has been announced as part of a 'Back to the 90s Collection', so Series 4 (the first from the '90s) makes sense.

It's been good to see comments on social media from people who now intend to subscribe to BritBox specifically to watch Knightmare. I'd encourage all Knightmare fans to consider doing this.

BritBox currently charges £5.99 per month for subscriptions (after a seven-day trial). If you subscribed for one month and watched the 16 episodes of Knightmare Series 4 once each and nothing else, that would be less than 40p per episode.

Here's hoping for more good news from BritBox, with our support.
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Knightmare on BritBox

Post by JamesA »

Excellent news, really glad to hear this.

Challenge TV's run of broadcasting Knightmare ended with Series 4 back in 2016 and five years on, Britbox's potential run of streaming starts with the very same season. Let's hope that there indeed proves to be a demand high enough for Britbox to pick up on KM's other seven series.
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

This is really exciting - despite the fact that it's my least favourite series. It's a legal, logo-free, full-quality version of Knightmare and that's what we've been waiting for since the Challenge runs!

Good to see that they also have The Crystal Maze!
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
AriadnesLayer
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by AriadnesLayer »

Excellent news indeed.

Gundrada returns to weild her mighty broadsword once more.

My worry is that Series 4 is quite a boring series overall so viewers may show a lack of interest after watching a few eps. Let's hope not.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

That is a valid worry. The repetition in Series 4 can be frustrating and the slowness of the gameplay may put off some people who remembered Knightmare as being faster paced - and less purple.

Others will enjoy the nostalgia trip regardless. Series 4 has a great array of characters, some excellent teams, high comedy and the Corridor of Blades.

I've seen one tweet to BritBox that reads:

'good to finally see Knightmare and Crystal Maze.. but i wont be watching till you've added all of it.'

If, as I suspect, BritBox will look at adding more Knightmare and Crystal Maze based on an initial show of interest, this stance is self-defeating.

One of the more supportive tweets:

'Knightmare! You guys know your audience! Cant wait to rewatch this!'

Hopefully there will be plenty more appreciation shown on social media when the episodes arrive on Thursday.
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Wow! This is positive news! Will have to check this. Yes series 4 wasn't great compared to other series but it's better than nothing. Plus it's the 1st real memory I had of Knightmare as a kid, so it will take me right back.
The only way is onward, there is no turning back.