The New Knightmare

How might you change Knightmare if a new series were to be made?
Trial_by_Spikes
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

The New Knightmare

Post by Trial_by_Spikes »

I think Tim Child could do no better than to install the jolly little fish from "Virtually Impossible" as the new host of "Knightmare." Hugo Myatt's all-well-and-good but he's hardly a fish is he? The fish could live on the "Time-busters" bus. If negotitations with the fish break down (but Tim you created him), perhaps Craig Charles, former host of "Cyberzone" - that old classic (remember Thesp?) could be contacted. He'd be very good at dungeon ditties - just watch "Robot Wars." Perhaps some other funny CITV legends of Knightmare's age could be drafted in to do the odd guest spot. Anyone for Victor and Hugo? Bunglers in crime extraordinaire. Violet off "Bad Attitude"? Watt from "Watt on Earth"? (Yes I am aware "Watt on Earth" was on CBBC)
Oh look there's J.G. Ballard in a burnt-out fridge with a spitfire pilot.
DavidNewton
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Re: The New Knightmare

Post by DavidNewton »

In a word: NO!

By the way, it was "Bad Influence", and very good it was too. Especially when Nam Rood was on it.

Goodbye, furtlers.
Far beyond the rising sun, I ride the wings of fate... prepared to go where my heart belongs - back to the past again!
Trial_by_Spikes
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

You are correct - Bad Influence indeed! Sorry, it was bally early in the morning when I typed that. However, you are incorrect to say that the programme was any good. For example, the "datablast" was announced about two seconds before it began, and if you were lucky enough to even get a tape in the recorder, you couldn't slow it down later because that technology didn't exist on most players in the early nineties (at least not in the North). Does anybody remember  any of the other series alluded to at all? What about "Dark Season" with a young Kate Winslet in? Written by Russell T. Davies. One of the best programmes ever to grace CBBC.
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

I don't think a fish is very Medieval!  :D

Dark Season: I remember that one well. "I am Behemoth!"

CITV had better stuff on in those days, though.  ;)
Subject to change.
Trial_by_Spikes
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

I used to be such a wag when it came to purchasing tie-in books from tv-series. In addition to getting all the Knightmare books (except "Labyrinths of Fear" and the final one), I also bought Russell T. Davies' book of "Dark Season" which is now apparently quite soughgt-after since Kate Winslet featrures on the cover. Does anyone remember his second series "Century Falls" ? Even scarier than Knightmare. I used to have the book version of "Watt on Earth" but I must have given it away. Another classic series of my youth. One cannot tire of an alien in a shell-suit who can change into  things and has green, back-to-front ears.  
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

True.  ;)

I've got three of the Km books, including the first one which I got when I was five (aah!).

Wouldn't it be good if there was a text-based adventure that recreated the quests on Km? The graphics could all be Km screenshots. It'd mean that people who haven't seen it could get some idea about how it played out.
Subject to change.
Trial_by_Spikes
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

That'd be pretty cool. I thought the Knightmare board game was always a bit of a disappointment as, if all the players were reasonably skillful, the game could go on for ages - I just found the game to be a missed opportunity. One of the enemies you occasionally had to fight was called a Barrow Lizard - surely this was just the invention of the MB team behind the game since I can't remember Treguard ever calling any of the creatures that threatened dungeoneers that?
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Malefact wrote:I don't think a fish is very Medieval! :D
Maybenotbutacodpieceismovingswiftlyon...
Trial_by_Spikes wrote:I used to be such a wag when it came to purchasing tie-in books from tv-series.
Come to think of it, so did I. My collection includes Knightmare, Woof!, Spatz, Three Seven Eleven, Kappatoo, (More Television Adventures Of) Mr. Majeika, Palace Hill and Pob. In some of those cases, the books came first but were reprinted with TV tie-in covers after the series had been shown. If anyone else remembers these books or TV series, feel free to post and share in the nostalgia. :) The gamebooks in my collection are the best: not only Knightmare, but The Crystal Maze gamebook too, co-written by David (a.k.a. Dave) Morris.
Trial_by_Spikes wrote:I also bought Russell T. Davies' book of "Dark Season" which is now apparently quite soughgt-after since Kate Winslet featrures on the cover. Does anyone remember his second series "Century Falls" ? Even scarier than Knightmare.
It's strange to see RTD discussed here, a good couple of years before he became a family household name. Then again, as the owner of several Why Don't You? fact packs, I was a fan of his early work too. :)
Mashibinbin
Staff
Staff

Post by Mashibinbin »

I can add the list with the Boot Street Gang, Grange Hill and Uncle Jack and the Snow Spider trilogy. There's a T.Bag one out there too but it goes for silly money.