Skip to content
Knightmare logo
  • Backstage
    ConventionExperiencesHistoryHow Knightmare was madeInterviews
  • Dungeon
    CGIHandpaintedLocations
  • Fans
    ArticlesCoverageFan projectsMagazinesOnline
  • NPCs
    OppositionPowers that BeUnaligned
  • Series
    Geek WeekInternationalKnightmare VRSeries 1Series 2Series 3Series 4Series 5Series 6Series 7Series 8
  • Events
    Pre-2021202120222023202420252026
  • Forum
Treguard and Lord Fear talking

General Discussion

Knightmare Chat takes place at 8pm on Sundays.
  • Categories
  • Recent
  • Tags
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Groups
Collapse
  1. Home
  2. General Discussion
  3. male/female knightmare fans

male/female knightmare fans

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved General Discussion
17 Posts 11 Posters 0 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • E
    E
    Elita
    wrote on last edited by
    #8

    And members who go into unscheduled Lurker Mode when they can't be arsed logging in!

    1 Reply Last reply
    0
    • E
      E
      Emii
      wrote on last edited by
      #9

      This thread reminds me of a thread on my roleplay society's board that might interest people with regards to females and the sci-fi/fantasy front. It starts off discussing females and LARP, but then broadens out to the fantasy side - very interesting Not strictly KM, but still relevant...

      http://users.aber.ac.uk/cgi-bin/user/scty19/YaBB.cgi?board=OOC;action=display;num=1082636406

      1 Reply Last reply
      0
      • H
        H
        hindleyite
        wrote on last edited by
        #10

        At the risk of increasing the level of swooping generalisation in this thread...

        This reminds me of an old debate about video games, the fact there were no really good ones made specifically for girls. The trouble is, they were incredibly condescending and, to be honest, really bad. The best games were not ones that specifically set out to win over one gender or the other, just to create a good gaming experience in much the same way as Knightmare.

        I guess it's just that the vast amount of girls aren't exactly won over by killing goblins and slaying dragons, just the way they're brought up to be. I wonder what the female-orientated version of Knightmare would have been like? Would it have even made it past the pilot or gone the same way as those terrible games for girls that flopped miserably?

        Or, that if there were more female game designers, eventually there would have been a good video game aimed specifically at girls?

        1 Reply Last reply
        0
        • PookaP
          PookaP
          Pooka
          wrote on last edited by
          #11

          What's a game "aimed at girls", though? I don't see why a game shouldn't be universalisable, never mind what gender the main character is. Some games allow you to choose and everything.

          1 Reply Last reply
          0
          • H
            H
            hindleyite
            wrote on last edited by
            #12

            What's a game "aimed at girls", though? I don't see why a game shouldn't be universalisable, never mind what gender the main character is. Some games allow you to choose and everything.

            I'm talking about games like those awful Spice Girls and Britney dance ones in the mid-90s. Plus, I'll wager there's never been a good Barbie game... not that I've ever played any of them, it's just there seems to be a general consensus they're terrible.

            Now I'm not saying boys can't enjoy them in the same way a girl could just as much enjoy a 'lad's' game (All Action Kill Zone etc.). I guess Knightmare falls into the latter category, though it doesn't specifically set out to cater for a specific gender like Barbie's Super Shopping Time or whatever. Hmm.

            1 Reply Last reply
            0
            • PookaP
              PookaP
              Pooka
              wrote on last edited by
              #13

              Well, those games are cack, that's the general reason why girls' games aren't really that popular.

              I am acquainted with Barbie Goes Shopping. It's a terrible example of a terrible genre. But then again, it's only terrible because it was specifically designed with girls in mind. Games like the Metroid series, which features a female lead, are pretty much non-gender-specific; the only reason that people seem to think of them as 'boy' games is that the media portrays boys playing them.

              Bad Influence used to give games two scores, one from the girls and one from the boys. Er, presumably in order to prove that girls play games too, or something.

              1 Reply Last reply
              0
              • H
                H
                hindleyite
                wrote on last edited by
                #14

                Bad Influence used to give games two scores, one from the girls and one from the boys. Er, presumably in order to prove that girls play games too, or something.

                Interesting, that. I know of no other games show that did that at the time or even since. I'm kind of glad we've moved on from the days of positive sexual discrimination in the gaming media. I wonder if the introduction of a female assistant for Treguard was a product of that?

                1 Reply Last reply
                0
                • MystaraM
                  MystaraM
                  Mystara
                  Administrators
                  wrote on last edited by
                  #15

                  Interestingly, though, I read an article about female World of Warcraft players.

                  Being a fantasy RPG, you wouldn't expect girls to play it (according to the stereotypes), but many get introduced by watching a friend play and then get hooked into it. Particularly due to the social aspect.

                  I believe The Sims is also well known for it.

                  https://www.twicetwice.co.uk/

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  0
                  • VeldaV
                    VeldaV
                    Velda
                    wrote on last edited by
                    #16

                    Interestingly, though, I read an article about female World of Warcraft players.

                    Being a fantasy RPG, you wouldn't expect girls to play it (according to the stereotypes), but many get introduced by watching a friend play and then get hooked into it. Particularly due to the social aspect.

                    I believe The Sims is also well known for it.

                    Heh, you could be describing my niece there - her online boyfriend got her into it using the free trial, she got so hooked from that she ended up buying the game card or whatever it is. I'd probably get addicted to it too if I could afford to pay it every month (I can't).

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    0
                    • S
                      S
                      Strike
                      wrote on last edited by
                      #17

                      Reminds me of a nice girl from Ruislip I met in Crawley town centre recently filling in some RSPCA form. We got chatting about Knightmare as she loved the show as well. It was just a day after I saw Chris on Series 6 via youtube! If only I told her about this forum. Lol

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      0

                      Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                      Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                      With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                      Register Login
                      Reply
                      • Reply as topic
                      Log in to reply
                      • Oldest to Newest
                      • Newest to Oldest
                      • Most Votes


                      • Login

                      • Don't have an account? Register

                      • Login or register to search.
                      • First post
                        Last post
                      0
                      • Categories
                      • Recent
                      • Tags
                      • Popular
                      • Users
                      • Groups
                      Recent News (21 June 2026): Knightmare Live in 2026

                      The Team

                      Join
                      Submissions
                      Contact
                      KM Chat
                      Privacy Policy

                      The Site

                      About
                      Search
                      Site Map
                      Terms & Conditions
                      Q&A

                      Keep up-to-date with Knightmare news:
                      © Copyright Knightmare.com 1999-2026. All Rights Reserved. Moral rights are asserted.