Skip to content
Knightmare logo
  • Backstage
    ConventionExperiencesHistoryHow Knightmare was madeInterviews
  • Dungeon
    CGIHandpaintedLocations
  • Fans
    ArticlesCoverageFan projectsMagazinesOnline
  • NPCs
    OppositionPowers that BeUnaligned
  • Series
    Geek WeekInternationalKnightmare VRSeries 1Series 2Series 3Series 4Series 5Series 6Series 7Series 8
  • Events
    Pre-2021202120222023202420252026
  • Forum
Treguard and Lord Fear talking

Cast and Crew Questions

Knightmare Chat takes place at 8pm on Sundays.
  • Categories
  • Recent
  • Tags
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Groups
Collapse
  1. Home
  2. Website Feedback
  3. Cast and Crew Questions
  4. Eye Shield Sequences - is it possible ...

Eye Shield Sequences - is it possible ...

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Cast and Crew Questions
4 Posts 3 Posters 0 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • s4t8brettS
    s4t8brettS
    s4t8brett
    wrote on last edited by
    #1

    Here's a question I've had for a while ... was/is it possible to add characters and objects to Eye Shield Sequences? For example, by having a camera that tracks the positions and angles, and then reproducing the track in the studio to add in characters and objects with which teams either have interacted with or are about to interact with.

    If such Eye Shield sequences were arranged into a series of choices for a given scene or room, that would make the gameplay a whole lot more interactive and immersive.

    I'm guessing it was too complicated in the early 90s, if not still today.

    1 Reply Last reply
    0
    • A
      A
      AriadnesLayer
      wrote on last edited by
      #2

      I would say that would be almost impossible to do in 1990. As for today, it would be possibly but very very time consuming.

      I think they did once insert a pooka-type woodland haunting into an eyeshield sequence but only briefly.

      My issue with the eye shield sequences is that they were too long/slow and too frequent. I actually don't mind them at all as an idea. I think they are a great way of showing the Dungeoneer going from place to place. If only they weren't used SO much (mainly talking about S4 and S5). I just don't for the life of me understand why whoever filmed them walked SO slowly.

      1 Reply Last reply
      0
      • s4t8brettS
        s4t8brettS
        s4t8brett
        wrote on last edited by
        #3

        Thank you for your reply, AriadnesLayer. I understand cameras can store direction and position pretty well today. I agree the sequences could sometimes have been faster (DASH notwithstanding!). I suppose I just wonder whether they could have recorded several versions of connecting sequences to increase the variety. Possibly the colour editing would have been a time constraint on doing that, not so much the original recording in the field.

        With series 7, I found it a little strange how the sequence would appear to go somewhere, and then fairly abruptly turn 90 degrees into a portal, on quite a few occasions - at least, that's my overall memory and impression of it.

        1 Reply Last reply
        0
        • V
          V
          videodirect
          wrote on last edited by
          #4

          In the early ‘90s, adding dynamic objects to Eye Shield sequences was too complex due to limited motion tracking and compositing tech. Today, AR and game engines like Unreal enable real-time interaction, making such sequences fully immersive and interactive, enhancing gameplay with responsive characters and objects.

          1 Reply Last reply
          0

          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

          Register Login
          Reply
          • Reply as topic
          Log in to reply
          • Oldest to Newest
          • Newest to Oldest
          • Most Votes


          • Login

          • Don't have an account? Register

          • Login or register to search.
          • First post
            Last post
          0
          • Categories
          • Recent
          • Tags
          • Popular
          • Users
          • Groups
          Recent News (21 June 2026): Knightmare Live in 2026

          The Team

          Join
          Submissions
          Contact
          KM Chat
          Privacy Policy

          The Site

          About
          Search
          Site Map
          Terms & Conditions
          Q&A

          Keep up-to-date with Knightmare news:
          © Copyright Knightmare.com 1999-2026. All Rights Reserved. Moral rights are asserted.