Skip to content
Knightmare logo
  • Backstage
    ConventionExperiencesHistoryHow Knightmare was madeInterviews
  • Dungeon
    CGIHandpaintedLocations
  • Fans
    ArticlesCoverageFan projectsMagazinesOnline
  • NPCs
    OppositionPowers that BeUnaligned
  • Series
    Geek WeekInternationalKnightmare VRSeries 1Series 2Series 3Series 4Series 5Series 6Series 7Series 8
  • Events
    Pre-2021202120222023202420252026
  • Forum
Treguard and Lord Fear talking

General Discussion

Knightmare Chat takes place at 8pm on Sundays.
  • Categories
  • Recent
  • Tags
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Groups
Collapse
  1. Home
  2. General Discussion
  3. Phrases used in Knightmare

Phrases used in Knightmare

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved General Discussion
33 Posts 10 Posters 17 Views 2 Watching
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • P
    P
    Picklemyfav
    wrote on last edited by
    #16

    is root and fern a phrase used by elves to show surprise and shock or is it an elf version of swearing?

    I think that the phrase used by Pickle is "rook and fen!" - a rook is a scavenging bird similar to a crow, and a fen is a type of wetland; there are some famous ones in the East of England.

    I think it's a reasonable assumption that Pickle is just using nature-related words as an exclamation of surprise. It also rhymes with "glen", as in "there's something stirring in this...".

    AAAAAHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.................. that's what he's doing........ showing surprise............ I couldn't picture Pickle swearing......... that's why when I was so shocked when I was told he was........ I was also told that Pickle swears like a trooper by the same person..... guess Pickle would call him a stupid fool for winding me up....

    1 Reply Last reply
    0
    • D
      D
      Drassil
      Senior staff
      wrote on last edited by
      #17

      Thanks for contributing to this thread, you guys - I wasn't sure if anyone would respond!

      A thread like this is not for everyone, but there's more than enough room on this discussion forum of ours for it and I for one enhance my appreciation of Knightmare by joining in. Since most of our theories cannot easily be proved or disproved, and we are all capable of approaching Knightmare with a sense of humour too, I don't see that it does any harm. If we chase thirty deeper meanings and only find one, for me it is still highly rewarding.

      Of course, it could just be random sounding magical words that occurred to/were heard by Clifford/Tim.

      I think this would be closer to the truth and would be most likely!

      The words themselves may well be random, though names and spells in Knightmare do tend to have a basis in existing languages.

      Perhaps it's worth adding that a lot of the Latin sounding words in Knightmare were genuine Latin. There were also authentic literary references throughout the series (Shakespeare, Marlowe, Dante, Carroll, Tolkien - the Knightmare Lexicon has details). There's also evidence of at least one Knightmare character being partly named after a real person who was close to the production. I think it's too easy to dismiss absolutely everything as made up. The same goes for the Knightmare gamebooks, which contain some fun but subtle in-jokes of their own.

      Also, what's the origin of "Caras carom" and does it have a literal translation? He uses that to express a range of emotions including frustration, horror and delight.

      I remember Robin/Mashibinbin once suggesting that the residence of Hordriss could be called Castle Carascaram. (We had Hordriss planned as a Knightmare RPG character at one point.) Whenever I try to consider the origin of the phrase, I end up imagining Hordriss singing along to The Pink Panther theme.

      This thread might be a useful place to note some of Knightmare's other mysterious incantations. Here are a few that come to mind. My phonetics are only approximate.

      Morghanna in Series 3, preparing to zap Martin: "Dahrius ivah. An end to the quest"

      Lord Fear in Series 6, freezing Matt: "Epassipum vaydellum"

      Lord Fear in Series 8, turning Maldame to stone: "Zalas caranaffa"

      1 Reply Last reply
      0
      • C
        C
        Canadanne
        wrote on last edited by
        #18

        This thread might be a useful place to note some of Knightmare's other mysterious incantations. Here are a few that come to mind. My phonetics are only approximate.

        Morghanna in Series 3, preparing to zap Martin: "Dahrius ivah. An end to the quest"

        Lord Fear in Series 6, freezing Matt: "Epassipum vaydellum"

        Lord Fear in Series 8, turning Maldame to stone: "Zalas caranaffa"

        Yes, I often wonder about those incantations too! (Morghanna's could definitely be borrowed from somewhere in the real world.) The one by Lord Fear that sounds to me like "Epacsepom vedelos" starts with ESCAPE backwards (which the clue scroll explicitly tells them to reverse), so it feels like the rest of it should have some meaning as well, but perhaps they just tried to make it into something Latin-sounding. "Vedelos" could possibly have an origin in Portuguese or Spanish - it seems that "vede" is a subjunctive form of "I impede", and "los" means "them" - but I'm not at all convinced that's where it came from!

        I transcribed Lord Fear's other spells as "Zalash caralam" (turns Maldame to stone), "Zash caram" (displays Bhal-Shebah on his screen) and "Caram gar" (speeds up the Corridor of Blades). They seem to have some common elements, and feel more made-up than the Latin-esque ones. But who knows.

        1 Reply Last reply
        0
        • C
          C
          Canadanne
          wrote on last edited by
          #19

          Also, what's the origin of "Caras carom" and does it have a literal translation? He uses that to express a range of emotions including frustration, horror and delight.

          I remember Robin/Mashibinbin once suggesting that the residence of Hordriss could be called Castle Carascaram. (We had Hordriss planned as a Knightmare RPG character at one point.) Whenever I try to consider the origin of the phrase, I end up imagining Hordriss singing along to The Pink Panther theme.

          I transcribed Lord Fear's other spells as "Zalash caralam" (turns Maldame to stone), "Zash caram" (displays Bhal-Shebah on his screen) and "Caram gar" (speeds up the Corridor of Blades). They seem to have some common elements, and feel more made-up than the Latin-esque ones. But who knows.

          It may be worth noting that čarati means "to cast a spell, practise sorcery" in Serbo-Croat, with the second- and first-person forms being čaraš and čaram.

          Merlin uses the exclamation "Spells and incantations!" at one point, so perhaps Hordriss' phrase means something similar?

          1 Reply Last reply
          0
          • C
            C
            Canadanne
            wrote on last edited by
            #20

            And finally... does anyone know if the "Ooooh, naaasty" catchphrase was borrowed from Leslie Phillips in The Navy Lark (consciously or otherwise)? It may just be coincidence, but their delivery is so similar, I'm wondering if Hugo Myatt was a fan!

            Hugo has answered this question himself now! (Page 50.)

            https://www.flipsnack.com/5B7D5F6BDC9/suffolk-norfolk-life-november-2020.html

            1 Reply Last reply
            0
            • MorghannaM
              MorghannaM
              Morghanna
              wrote on last edited by
              #21

              This thread might be a useful place to note some of Knightmare's other mysterious incantations. Here are a few that come to mind. My phonetics are only approximate.

              Morghanna in Series 3, preparing to zap Martin: "Dahrius ivah. An end to the quest"

              Lord Fear in Series 6, freezing Matt: "Epassipum vaydellum"

              Lord Fear in Series 8, turning Maldame to stone: "Zalas caranaffa"

              Yes, i wondered if Morghanna's exclamation was an authentic name/phrase from an ancient language.

              1 Reply Last reply
              0
              • MorghannaM
                MorghannaM
                Morghanna
                wrote on last edited by
                #22

                And finally... does anyone know if the "Ooooh, naaasty" catchphrase was borrowed from Leslie Phillips in The Navy Lark (consciously or otherwise)? It may just be coincidence, but their delivery is so similar, I'm wondering if Hugo Myatt was a fan!

                Hugo has answered this question himself now! (Page 50.)

                https://www.flipsnack.com/5B7D5F6BDC9/suffolk-norfolk-life-november-2020.html

                Thank-you for posting this link. That's a really interesting interview and great to know where he got the "Ooooh naaaasty!" from.

                1 Reply Last reply
                0
                • D
                  D
                  Drassil
                  Senior staff
                  wrote on last edited by
                  #23

                  And finally... does anyone know if the "Ooooh, naaasty" catchphrase was borrowed from Leslie Phillips in The Navy Lark (consciously or otherwise)? It may just be coincidence, but their delivery is so similar, I'm wondering if Hugo Myatt was a fan!

                  Hugo has answered this question himself now! (Page 50.)

                  https://www.flipsnack.com/5B7D5F6BDC9/suffolk-norfolk-life-november-2020.html

                  For anyone who'd like to hear Leslie Phillips saying "Ooh nasty" in The Navy Lark, search for 'Commander Murray and the Squatters' (Series 11 Episode 1) on a popular video sharing website and listen to the first minute.

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  0
                  • C
                    C
                    Canadanne
                    wrote on last edited by
                    #24

                    I'm interested in the phrase the Gruagach screams when Treguard is attacking the catacombite in the book, "Ughrgis ar calibrahm" (described as "an ancient tongue"). Completely made up, or based on some existing real or fictional language? Does it mean something? Is it an anagram I've failed to work out?!

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    0
                    • HStormH
                      HStormH
                      HStorm
                      wrote on last edited by
                      #25

                      According to Google Translate, it might be Hindi, although it can't find an actual translation for it.

                      More helpfully, keep an ear open for a Temporal Discussion podcast coming soon; we're speaking to a certain someone who might just know the answer, so we'll put this one to him for you.

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      0
                      • C
                        C
                        Canadanne
                        wrote on last edited by
                        #26

                        More helpfully, keep an ear open for a Temporal Discussion podcast coming soon; we're speaking to a certain someone who might just know the answer, so we'll put this one to him for you.

                        Ooo, thanks!

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        0
                        • C
                          C
                          Canadanne
                          wrote on last edited by
                          #27

                          I transcribed Lord Fear's other spells as "Zalash caralam" (turns Maldame to stone), "Zash caram" (displays Bhal-Shebah on his screen) and "Caram gar" (speeds up the Corridor of Blades). They seem to have some common elements, and feel more made-up than the Latin-esque ones. But who knows.

                          Having noted the many similarities between Lord Fear and Sauron, it occurred to me recently that his Series 8 incantations might be intended to resemble Black Speech, which has the same kind of harsh sounds (and includes "ash" among the few words Tolkien invented). Tim seemingly included a few bits of Elvish in Knightmare, so this feels quite plausible.

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          0
                          • T
                            T
                            TheOldenDays
                            wrote on last edited by
                            #28

                            If I forget to refer to this on Temporal Discussion S8E2, I'll be furious with myself.

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            0
                            • C
                              C
                              Canadanne
                              wrote last edited by
                              #29

                              Having noted the many similarities between Lord Fear and Sauron, it occurred to me recently that his Series 8 incantations might be intended to resemble Black Speech, which has the same kind of harsh sounds (and includes "ash" among the few words Tolkien invented).

                              Interestingly we see this again in Lords Of The Game where Lord Fear's name is Veerash - very Orkish-sounding! (His middle name less so, haha.)

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              0
                              • C
                                C
                                Canadanne
                                wrote last edited by
                                #30

                                Intriguingly, I've just noticed another example of something that sounds like Black Speech: the weird landing command Kelly has to use for Smirkenorff, "Avash kraf" (or however it might be spelt).

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                0
                                • MystaraM
                                  MystaraM
                                  Mystara
                                  Administrators
                                  wrote last edited by
                                  #31

                                  I will need to look it up. But I have a stack of Clifford Norgate’s scripts and in some cases I seem to recall him rewriting the spells.

                                  https://www.twicetwice.co.uk/

                                  C 1 Reply Last reply
                                  0
                                  • MystaraM Mystara

                                    I will need to look it up. But I have a stack of Clifford Norgate’s scripts and in some cases I seem to recall him rewriting the spells.

                                    C
                                    C
                                    Canadanne
                                    wrote last edited by
                                    #32

                                    @Mystara said:

                                    I will need to look it up. But I have a stack of Clifford Norgate’s scripts and in some cases I seem to recall him rewriting the spells.

                                    Oh wow, that would be interesting to see...

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    0
                                    • MystaraM
                                      MystaraM
                                      Mystara
                                      Administrators
                                      wrote last edited by
                                      #33

                                      I'll see if I can dig that specific one out. We're putting together longer term plans for the scripts.

                                      https://www.twicetwice.co.uk/

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      0

                                      Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                      Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                      With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                      Register Login
                                      Reply
                                      • Reply as topic
                                      Log in to reply
                                      • Oldest to Newest
                                      • Newest to Oldest
                                      • Most Votes


                                      • Login

                                      • Don't have an account? Register

                                      • Login or register to search.
                                      • First post
                                        Last post
                                      0
                                      • Categories
                                      • Recent
                                      • Tags
                                      • Popular
                                      • Users
                                      • Groups
                                      Recent News (21 June 2026): Knightmare Live in 2026

                                      The Team

                                      Join
                                      Submissions
                                      Contact
                                      KM Chat
                                      Privacy Policy

                                      The Site

                                      About
                                      Search
                                      Site Map
                                      Terms & Conditions
                                      Q&A

                                      Keep up-to-date with Knightmare news:
                                      © Copyright Knightmare.com 1999-2026. All Rights Reserved. Moral rights are asserted.