Skip to content
Knightmare logo
  • Backstage
    ConventionExperiencesHistoryHow Knightmare was madeInterviews
  • Dungeon
    CGIHandpaintedLocations
  • Fans
    ArticlesCoverageFan projectsMagazinesOnline
  • NPCs
    OppositionPowers that BeUnaligned
  • Series
    Geek WeekInternationalKnightmare VRSeries 1Series 2Series 3Series 4Series 5Series 6Series 7Series 8
  • Events
    Pre-2021202120222023202420252026
  • Forum
Treguard and Lord Fear talking

News Discussion

Knightmare Chat takes place at 8pm on Sundays.
  • Categories
  • Recent
  • Tags
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Groups
Collapse
  1. Home
  2. News Discussion
  3. R.I.P. Clifford Norgate

R.I.P. Clifford Norgate

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved News Discussion
6 Posts 6 Posters 0 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • D
    D
    Drassil
    Senior staff
    wrote on last edited by
    #1

    I'm sad to share the news that Clifford Norgate died on 4th January 2024. It was reported via a death notice on 20th January and came to light on social media more recently.

    Clifford is cherished by Knightmare fans for his portrayal of Hordriss the Confuser from Series 3 to 8. Far more than pantomime, he took the character on a journey from would-be dungeoneer killer to intriguingly neutral mage to doting father to staunch ally of the Powers that Be.

    His rich tones also enriched the Greater Dungeon with portrayals of tree trolls (Oakley), dragons (Owen, Smirkenorff) and automata (Dreadnort).

    He will be fondly remembered by other fan communities too, from Doctor Who to Georgette Heyer.

    When you know a character will live forever in your mind, you think the actor will too. And whatever the age, whatever the circumstances, it's a sad loss.

    I played Hordriss for a time on the Knightmare Roleplay Forum. It was a lot of fun, so I trust that Clifford had the same experience in person.

    Whether standing alone, clashing or collaborating, he was ever magical on screen. Thank you, Clifford, for being such a special part of a special series.

    1 Reply Last reply
    0
    • C
      C
      Canadanne
      wrote on last edited by
      #2

      Oh no, this is terribly sad news. One salutes a true Knightmare legend!

      1 Reply Last reply
      0
      • S
        S
        ShogunMiyu
        wrote on last edited by
        #3

        I found out on January 29th. I had been given the Knightmare Boardgame for Xmas, and wanted to add the signatures of the cast to it. I reached out to Clifford on Social Media, only to receive a message from his son informing me that he was replying on behalf of his dad who passed away on 4th Jan. That's how I found out, and I was completely mortified.

        Alongside Treguard, Lord Fear and Motley, Hordriss was one of the biggest mainstays and most iconic characters in the whole game. Seeing him develop through the series was a really interesting point of observation, and I will miss him terribly.

        Thank you Clifford. You're a Legend.

        1 Reply Last reply
        0
        • P
          P
          pjmlfc05
          wrote on last edited by
          #4

          Oh no, terribly sad news.

          1 Reply Last reply
          0
          • s4t8brettS
            s4t8brettS
            s4t8brett
            wrote on last edited by
            #5

            I am really sorry to read this news, particularly after meeting Clifford in the studio canteen during the filming of season 4. I respected his professionalism, appreciated his characterisation of 'Oakley' when we encountered him during our quest, and enjoyed tracking the development of Hordriss through to the last episode of the last season - from aloof 'neutrality' towards a dynamic member of the 'powers that be'.

            1 Reply Last reply
            0
            • DuxBellorumD
              DuxBellorumD
              DuxBellorum
              wrote on last edited by
              #6

              Such sad news!!

              Having been out of the Knightmare "loop" for a while, I have only just found out.

              A commanding presence in any show he appeared in, and his bringing to life of Hordriss was of course perfection!!

              Rest In Peace

              1 Reply Last reply
              0

              Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

              Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

              With your input, this post could be even better 💗

              Register Login
              Reply
              • Reply as topic
              Log in to reply
              • Oldest to Newest
              • Newest to Oldest
              • Most Votes


              • Login

              • Don't have an account? Register

              • Login or register to search.
              • First post
                Last post
              0
              • Categories
              • Recent
              • Tags
              • Popular
              • Users
              • Groups
              Recent News (21 June 2026): Knightmare Live in 2026

              The Team

              Join
              Submissions
              Contact
              KM Chat
              Privacy Policy

              The Site

              About
              Search
              Site Map
              Terms & Conditions
              Q&A

              Keep up-to-date with Knightmare news:
              © Copyright Knightmare.com 1999-2026. All Rights Reserved. Moral rights are asserted.