Series 8 - Episode 8
-
When Becca arrives in the corridors of Goth, the flaming torch on the wall appears to be frozen! And yet it's suddenly animated during the Eyeshield sequence.
Am I the only person who suspects that Becca's team were given the answer to the goblin riddle? They clearly have no idea about the werewolf question, and I'd say the goblin one is slightly harder, yet one advisor confidently provides the answer with no discussion whatsoever (and without the slightest glance from her teammates), which makes me think it's been edited. In fact you can hear one of the others say "Rat?", but it seems like she totally ignores this suggestion and just goes "Say it's a goblin!", in a strangely forced way as if she's delivering a scripted line. Maybe I'm wrong, but I always get the feeling they spared this team from having their dungeoneer netted - which is rather a shame in my opinion! Would've been more fun than seeing her blindly walk into a Mireman.
If when too people touch the wand they both turn into skeletrons - how did Lissard give it to Maldame without getting a bit bonier?
I think it's because he's wearing gauntlets. A more puzzling question is why Lissard is holding the same wand again during the first spyglass scene of Dunstan's quest - did Maldame give it back?!
-
That screaming scene I can also remember watching back when I was 7. I'm pretty sure I heard one of the advisors saying "Sidestep to your left." before all the screaming started; that might have been what made Becca sidestep left. And was that Jackie (Majida) telling them to calm down when they got out of the room?
-
I understand that earlier this year, team captain Alan Boyd (Mystara) was introduced to a tree lizard known as a Boyd's forest dragon. Its life expectancy is reportedly five to ten years, so it too might appreciate a joke about being too young for a pension.
Motley refers to a joke about the Englishman, the Irishman and the goblin. He did the same thing during the first quest he appeared in (Series 3 Quest 2).
-
Team 5 encountered another Brother Strange. Treated him the same way and received a code and a "FLOAT" spell.
Decided to trust the 1st monk as they thought the 2nd one was too generous and, like LF, he referred to a code rather than an order of opening.
The difference between the real character and the imposter was far less blatant than usual, making them think a bit harder. They reasoned it out very well.
Reached the rune-locked door. Under pressure from goblins they took far too long to open it and descended into screaming panic before they somehow got Becca out.
Reached the trap-door and used the "FLOAT" spell to safely reach level 2.
Straight into the level 2 clue-room and correctly chose a spanner, but also selected gold instead of the fireball brandy. A mistake? The fireball brandy could have been used as a bribe or for defense.
Cornered by Snapper-Jack at the sewers. I thought they were gonna fail here, but they just about did enough to scrape thru.
In the next chamber they were confronted by miremen. Any slight chance they might have had of sneaking past them vanished when Becca ignored her instructions and walked straight into one of them. Treguard suggested that they needed the fireball brandy....
Team 6 were assigned the quest for the crown.
Quickly reached the level 1 clue-room and learned about a possible short-cut to level 3. Wisely chose the green dagger but also took a key rather than Motley's marotte.
Nice thinking from advisor Alex: "Do we want the key to level 2 if we're gonna use the shortcut?" Also, Motley's marotte was usually an item which teams needed to take. (Possibly S5 team 7 discovered this to their cost?)
Next room they encountered Smirky and Motley. (Oh no, they didn't have his marotte, this could be costly. ) Fortunately he didn't want it anyway, but requested a new joke instead. Dunstan quickly told him a goodun' and received their advice before the gong sounded.
-
Wisely chose the green dagger but also took a key rather than Motley's marotte.
FYI: This is because we hadn't yet decided whether we wanted to take the shortcut or not.
-
The team who died today has to be THE most excitable team in history. They were literally SCREAMING at dungeoneer Rebecca when, instead of sidestepping right once, she sidestepped all the way to the left side of the room.
From their earliest appearances, the goblins established themselves as menaces to unnerve teams and watchers alike. The Barry Thorne Show at the end of Series 7 did so much to undermine that, turning the goblins into the butt of cartoon slapstick jokes: put into slow motion; squished by a flatulent-sounding giant boot; dropped off a ledge; shot at with mini fireballs.
The panic that the goblins induce in this team is satisfying in how it restores the goblins' fear factor. It's just a shame that when the goblin horn is first heard in this scene, Treguard seems to completely ignore it in favour of his fussy grandfatherly helpfulness. (Majida seems to ignore it too.) This is a far cry from the august Dungeon Master of only five years earlier who would amplify such hurry-ups to make sure that the team took them seriously.
-
Team 6 were assigned the quest for the crown.
Quickly reached the level 1 clue-room
I was amused to see that in the clue room, when Oliver says "You're in a room", Alan appears to mouth along.
Alan, I like to imagine you were thinking: Don't say it, don't say it... sigh he's saying it. Or have I got it all wrong?
(Team 5 are the only team in Series 8 not to say "You're in a room." The closest they come is "You're in a square room.")
-
I was amused to see that in the clue room, when Oliver says "You're in a room", Alan appears to mouth along
I probably said it and my microphone was off. We had to nominate a describer (Oliver) and a main guider (me). I assume that our microphones were adjusted in anticipation of these roles and therefore mine was off at the room description stage. As you'll appreciate, this didn't even last one room and within two or three rooms it became a free for all.
Alan, I like to imagine you were thinking: Don't say it, don't say it... sigh he's saying it. Or have I got it all wrong?
It's a funny thing the phrase "you're in a room". At the time I don't remember it being as iconic as "Where am I?", which I vaguely seem to recall (although I may be misremembering) Dunstan was supposed to say. I think "You're in a room" is just the natural response. Perhaps that's why it's become so well known. It's meaningless, non-forced, and yet a perfectly likely thing for someone to say in that situation.
So no, I'm pretty sure I wasn't thinking that at the time
-
Was it actually Clifford Norgate doing Smirkenorff's voice in the scene with Dunstan? It's the only time they put that weird effect on his voice, which makes me wonder if they were trying to disguise that it was someone else standing in. It sounds a little like Bill Cashmore doing Bhal-Shebah at one point, but then more like Clifford towards the end, so I'm not sure!
-
I think it IS Clifford Norgate, even though they're doing something weird with the effect on his voice. For the end of the same scene in Episode 9, Clifford Norgate is credited as Smirkenorff so that's probably not a direct lie. Maybe they did it specially to match the Bhal-Shebah "dragon" voice, having forgotten to try it out in Episode 7, then realised it was a rubbish idea and abandoned it for Episode 10.
They do put a similarly weird, slowing effect on Smirky's voice (though not nearly so extreme as this one) when he first speaks to Simon in S7E2, which I think provides a traceable bridge between his normal voice and his "Dunstan" voice. There is no sign of this effect after he actually takes off in that episode, however.
-
Obviously I have no idea who voiced Smirkenorff at the time. They hid that kind of stuff from us.
However there is a related oddity in this room. Dunstan insisted on telling this particular joke and whomever voiced Skirkenorff didn’t know the format. In the original take, Smirkenorff burst out laughing as soon as Dunstan said “to get his pension”. Right at the end of our quest they brought Paul Valentine back in to rerecord the audio and tell the joke properly. If you listen very carefully, you can tell the audio changes.
So it could be some kind of weird audio matching going on.
The only other point of relevance is that to establish this shot, the puppet would need to be in the adjoining void (together with Clifford). It may be they were trying something to make the audio a bit less irritating for the dungeoneer (who would inevitably hear the audio twice).
-
Obviously I have no idea who voiced Smirkenorff at the time. They hid that kind of stuff from us.
However there is a related oddity in this room. Dunstan insisted on telling this particular joke and whomever voiced Skirkenorff didn’t know the format. In the original take, Smirkenorff burst out laughing as soon as Dunstan said “to get his pension”. Right at the end of our quest they brought Paul Valentine back in to rerecord the audio and tell the joke properly. If you listen very carefully, you can tell the audio changes.
So it could be some kind of weird audio matching going on.
The only other point of relevance is that to establish this shot, the puppet would need to be in the adjoining void (together with Clifford). It may be they were trying something to make the audio a bit less irritating for the dungeoneer (who would inevitably hear the audio twice).
Dunstan insisted on telling this particular joke and whomever voiced Skirkenorff didn’t know the format. In the original take, Smirkenorff burst out laughing as soon as Dunstan said “to get his pension”. Right at the end of our quest they brought Paul Valentine back in to rerecord the audio and tell the joke properly. If you listen very carefully, you can tell the audio changes.
Oh yeah! I always figured that joke must have been pre-arranged since Paul knew how to respond, but I hadn't noticed the audio difference where it's been redubbed.
-
In my experience with editing Notmare, I have always been amazed by how painfully obvious these things are when you know the correction is there but nobody else notices them.
There are one or two with geek week as well where I know there was a bit of a funny and the editing has mostly (but not entirely) covered it up.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login