Skip to content
Knightmare logo
  • Backstage
    ConventionExperiencesHistoryHow Knightmare was madeInterviews
  • Dungeon
    CGIHandpaintedLocations
  • Fans
    ArticlesCoverageFan projectsMagazinesOnline
  • NPCs
    OppositionPowers that BeUnaligned
  • Series
    Geek WeekInternationalKnightmare VRSeries 1Series 2Series 3Series 4Series 5Series 6Series 7Series 8
  • Events
    Pre-2021202120222023202420252026
  • Forum
Treguard and Lord Fear talking

Series 4

Knightmare Chat takes place at 8pm on Sundays.
  • Categories
  • Recent
  • Tags
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Groups
Collapse
  1. Home
  2. Series and Episode Discussion
  3. Series 4
  4. The name Dickon Hares

The name Dickon Hares

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Series 4
27 Posts 17 Posters 0 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • M
    M
    Melisandrinoff
    wrote on last edited by
    #17

    Yeah, it was Loose Women, I was watching it too, and thought of KM Dickon when they said that

    1 Reply Last reply
    0
    • M
      M
      Mykell
      wrote on last edited by
      #18

      I'm sure we all had quite a big giggle over the Team 6 dungeoneer's name - Dickon Hairs/Hares (surname spelt phoenetically. Not sure how it's literally spelt).

      Well - here's something my mother told me today...

      Dickon and his team are from where I live (Well, they lived in Torquay and I lived (still do) in Brixham - a mere 7ish miles away). Anyway, Today I told my mum about this dungeoneers rather unfortunate name and she told me that his mother used to work as a swimming instructor at Brixham Swimming Pool. The big rumour that was going around the place back then was that she had named her son Dickon and they were all sure that this could have been nothing more than a joke because their surname was Hairs/Hares - they couldn't believe that she didn't see what the full name was saying...

      But now mum found out that the rumour was true because ole Dickon himself appeared on Knightmare today!

      1 Reply Last reply
      0
      • M
        M
        Malefact
        wrote on last edited by
        #19

        An interesting story! I reckon it's Hess, though, tbh.

        1 Reply Last reply
        0
        • M
          M
          Mykell
          wrote on last edited by
          #20

          Forgive me for sounding like an idiot, but "Hess"?

          1 Reply Last reply
          0
          • M
            M
            Malefact
            wrote on last edited by
            #21

            His surname - I reckon it might be Hess.

            1 Reply Last reply
            0
            • M
              M
              Mykell
              wrote on last edited by
              #22

              Oh, silly me! I'm certain that he pronounced it "Hares" or "Hairs". It'd hard to think that he's probably older than I am. That series of Knightmare was on when I was 7...

              1 Reply Last reply
              0
              • D
                D
                Drassil
                Senior staff
                wrote on last edited by
                #23

                His surname - I reckon it might be Hess.

                Although you've suggested 'Hess' several times in this context since 2003, forum member Pipmuk consistently spelt Dickon's surname 'Hares'; and since Pipmuk was a pupil at a school where Dickon taught, I see no reason to doubt Hares as the correct spelling. I recommend that anyone who needs further convincing compares and examines search engine results for "Dickon Hess" and "Dickon Hares", so that this repeated, erroneous nitpicking can stop.

                Thanks for sharing that story, Mykell. It just goes to show that Dickon was the talk of the town long before he was even on Knightmare. As for long after...

                Thought you'd like to know that a few "friends" were umm.... prudent enough to ask Dickon.. ahem Mr. Hares whether he was on Knightmare or not, and got the following (true) reply

                Dickon, present day: " I wasnt just on Knightmare... I Won it!! Come on!!"

                That last sentence was right, i think. Or something like "come on"

                It's inspiring to know that his unusual name was never an obstacle to achieving something nearly as uncommon, and continuing to take pride in it.

                1 Reply Last reply
                0
                • M
                  M
                  Mykell
                  wrote on last edited by
                  #24

                  He's a teacher now is he? That's interesting to know! I wonder if he stayed in the area and if he came into contact with any of the schools I went to. I'll have to go check...

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  0
                  • N
                    N
                    natnut
                    wrote on last edited by
                    #25

                    i thought it was dickon ayres! shows what i know eh? lol

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    0
                    • M
                      M
                      Mykell
                      wrote on last edited by
                      #26

                      Not to sound like a stalker or anything but I did a quick search for "Dickon Hares Teacher" which brought up this Livejournal entry:

                      http://mynameissmurf.livejournal.com/112535.html

                      (WARNING - although it's a funny post looking at weird names, there's some really bad swearing in it. Remember kids - swearing is wrong and makes your willy drop off.)

                      And at the bottom of the post is:

                      "and, unbesmegginglievable though it may seem, there's two people in the country called Dickon Hares, which means there's another guy out there other than my Biology teacher at MGS with the simply evil name.".

                      MGS, after glancing at this guys past school list, is Manchester Grammar School. So could this perhaps be the school?

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      0
                      • B
                        B
                        bickers
                        wrote on last edited by
                        #27

                        The name, 'Dickon Hares' is correct. I went to school with him at Torquay Boys Grammar School and it was a source of constant jokes back then. I remember him appearing on Knightmare and the team came to our school as well.

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        Reply
                        • Reply as topic
                        Log in to reply
                        • Oldest to Newest
                        • Newest to Oldest
                        • Most Votes


                        • Login

                        • Don't have an account? Register

                        • Login or register to search.
                        • First post
                          Last post
                        0
                        • Categories
                        • Recent
                        • Tags
                        • Popular
                        • Users
                        • Groups
                        Recent News (21 June 2026): Knightmare Live in 2026

                        The Team

                        Join
                        Submissions
                        Contact
                        KM Chat
                        Privacy Policy

                        The Site

                        About
                        Search
                        Site Map
                        Terms & Conditions
                        Q&A

                        Keep up-to-date with Knightmare news:
                        © Copyright Knightmare.com 1999-2026. All Rights Reserved. Moral rights are asserted.