Skip to content
Knightmare logo
  • Backstage
    ConventionExperiencesHistoryHow Knightmare was madeInterviews
  • Dungeon
    CGIHandpaintedLocations
  • Fans
    ArticlesCoverageFan projectsMagazinesOnline
  • NPCs
    OppositionPowers that BeUnaligned
  • Series
    Geek WeekInternationalKnightmare VRSeries 1Series 2Series 3Series 4Series 5Series 6Series 7Series 8
  • Events
    Pre-2021202120222023202420252026
  • Forum
Treguard and Lord Fear talking

General Discussion

Knightmare Chat takes place at 8pm on Sundays.
  • Categories
  • Recent
  • Tags
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Groups
Collapse
  1. Home
  2. General Discussion
  3. Would YOU accept the challenge?

Would YOU accept the challenge?

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved General Discussion
17 Posts 7 Posters 0 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • MystaraM
    MystaraM
    Mystara
    Administrators
    wrote on last edited by
    #7

    I think that since we already have a chat infrastructure in place, that IRC is really the place to run this (as opposed to MSN)

    If you take a looksie at:

    http://www.knightmare.com/fan-stuff/interactive-rpg.html

    You'll see Adam Battersby's previous attempts at running an RPG.

    https://www.twicetwice.co.uk/

    1 Reply Last reply
    0
    • O
      O
      OooNasty
      wrote on last edited by
      #8

      I tried to use IRC once and was utterly baffled by the instructions for use before I got even halfway through them. I don't even understand what it is or how it works, other than that it seems primitive compared to simple log in a use mmessenger services.

      I say "seems" because I have no clue if it actually IS primitive in comparison. I am a complete and utter technophobe, so I wouldn't know. Anyone share a few tips?

      1 Reply Last reply
      0
      • MystaraM
        MystaraM
        Mystara
        Administrators
        wrote on last edited by
        #9

        IRC is extremely primitive, it actually predates the web and IMHO is not at all user friendly compared to modern chat systems. That said, it's actually easy to use despite appearances.

        The knightmare IRC server has also been the home of KMchat for 10+ years. IRC also has the advantage that it's more designed for chatrooms and multiple person interaction than the likes of MSN/ICQ which tend to be 1-to-1. I know they can handle more, but IRC comfortably handles thousands at once

        Tips:

        What operating system are you using?

        https://www.twicetwice.co.uk/

        1 Reply Last reply
        0
        • KaMK
          KaMK
          KaM
          Senior staff
          wrote on last edited by
          #10

          Hi there. I thought it might be useful to update the link to the archived RPG section, undervalued as I believe it is.

          http://www.knightmare.com/fan-stuff/interactive-rpg.html

          The season two logs in particular go some way towards proving how effective the type of game, as you describe it, could be. They are an excellent demonstration of the amount of work required, the amount of recycling that can be done, the sort of puzzles (and the difficulty) that work well in a text based setting, and so forth. Knightmare was famed for its difficulty; it’s tough to pull off. Also in your favour: the technological glitches that haunted many players on dial-up a decade ago should be much less of an issue now.

          Certainly, keep the dialogue open!

          1 Reply Last reply
          0
          • MystaraM
            MystaraM
            Mystara
            Administrators
            wrote on last edited by
            #11

            hrm, this has all gone rather quiet again. I was looking forward to a resurgence of text based adventures 😕

            https://www.twicetwice.co.uk/

            1 Reply Last reply
            0
            • O
              O
              OooNasty
              wrote on last edited by
              #12

              Still here. Got a few questions to ask in a bit actually. To help, yanno.

              1 Reply Last reply
              0
              • J
                J
                Jenovadeath
                wrote on last edited by
                #13

                I'd be interested

                Kim

                xxx

                1 Reply Last reply
                0
                • O
                  O
                  OooNasty
                  wrote on last edited by
                  #14

                  And a FF VII fan I notice.

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  0
                  • O
                    O
                    OooNasty
                    wrote on last edited by
                    #15

                    As excuses go, this one actually flies, folks. I've been incapacitated and in and out of hospital. I am also lazy, it has to be said, but still here anyway.

                    Either that or I'd been abducted by aliens.

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    0
                    • J
                      J
                      Jenovadeath
                      wrote on last edited by
                      #16

                      Hi all,

                      been away for a while!

                      Hope you're a-ok not, and yes I am an FFVII fan

                      Kim

                      xxx

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      0
                      • PookaP
                        PookaP
                        Pooka
                        wrote on last edited by
                        #17

                        I'm OK. And yes, I am also an FFVII fan.

                        Haven't we had this conversation before?

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        Reply
                        • Reply as topic
                        Log in to reply
                        • Oldest to Newest
                        • Newest to Oldest
                        • Most Votes


                        • Login

                        • Don't have an account? Register

                        • Login or register to search.
                        • First post
                          Last post
                        0
                        • Categories
                        • Recent
                        • Tags
                        • Popular
                        • Users
                        • Groups
                        Recent News (21 June 2026): Knightmare Live in 2026

                        The Team

                        Join
                        Submissions
                        Contact
                        KM Chat
                        Privacy Policy

                        The Site

                        About
                        Search
                        Site Map
                        Terms & Conditions
                        Q&A

                        Keep up-to-date with Knightmare news:
                        © Copyright Knightmare.com 1999-2026. All Rights Reserved. Moral rights are asserted.